January 25, 2011

Routine Addiction

Each morning I arrive to work some time between 7:50 and 8:10. It all depends on the girls and how easily we get out the door.

Each morning I turn on my computer and while it wakes up, I go fill my favorite mug with my favorite stuff to wake me up...coffee.

We brew it dark and strong in our office and I like it sweetened just a bit. I prefer CoffeMate's Hazelnut or French Vanilla, and I don't mess around with the fat free creamers, it just ruins the goodness.

I like my morning routine.
I like getting to sip one, sometimes two good cups of joe, from my pink mug and start my morning in my office which has a pretty nice view from big windows that over look downtown.
I like the artwork on my wall, I especially love my navy blue "Keep Calm and Carry On" poster in my office. I like knowing that I have my own space that no body else can fuss with. It's all mine, as overwhelming as it may be, for 8 hours every day.

For me, being a mom who works, works.
It's not easy by any means and there are certainly days when the guilt takes over and I wish I didn't work and was able to be home with the girls, but I know myself.

I really do believe I am a better mom because I work.
When I am at home and spending time with my family, my time is theirs.
We do things together, like cooking, crafting, playing and coloring.
We eat dinner together at the dinner table every night and talk about our days. I like hearing what the girls did at school, who they played with and what they learned about.
We all love our weekends and we most often spend them together.

I pray each night that I am doing the right thing for my family.
I pray that my girls are safe and happy and know that they are loved.
So far, I think we are doing alright.
I am a mom who works and I try as much as possible to keep it that way...a mom who works, not a working mom.
To me, there is a difference.

Crazy at it may all sound, it works for our little family and every now and then I feel like giving myself a pat on the back for pulling it off each and every day.

I slept terribly last night and for the first time this morning, I noticed as we were getting ourselves ready for the day, that I was consciously craving my morning coffee. Not Starbucks. Not Dutch Bros. Nothing frothy or whipped. Just the black stuff straight out of the office pot. Weird?

This morning was a two cup morning, and it was so deliciously comforting.

3 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Good Morning!!!! First, I love having an idea of you drinking out of your pink mug! Not the frothy Starbucks variety, but the quick and dirty!!! :)

You deserver a HUGE pat on the back for pulling it all off!!! I am really impressed with you Andrea! You know in years past I used to find it really easy to look at other Mom's that did things differently than me and not really judge...but maybe a little. It just makes me cringe. I have learned a lot this year and one of the most profound things I learned was that we are all doing what works for us and OUR FAMILIES! Like for me, it's being home and homeschooling. Would you believe that I feel guilty about that sometimes too? Would you believe that I often feel that "oh you are one of those" looks every time I tell someone. I think we all second guess ourselves and look for approval from other Mom's. We are all so different, but with one common thread, (wow this is going deep...is there a third cup in your future? :)) we know ourselves and what we can give and what works for our kiddos! You have found your perfect recipe, and it's yours!!! Your girls are BRIGHT, ADORABLE, and they love their little life and it's obvious!!!! You are doing awesome and I want to see more of your little space at work! We need a tour!!!

Annie said...

Hello!
I like your pink mug, and I like this post, and I agree that fat free creamers ruin coffee :)
Yes, lets get a little tour of your office- we want to see where you spend your days!
Gosh, sometimes I really wish that I had a space of my own that no one can mess up! After reading about your office, I am tempted to go find a job for myself!
It makes me so happy to know that you are happy and that your routine works so well for your fam. You are such a hard worker, and you are such a great mom, and it truly is impressive that you pull it off with grace and style! I'd be a mess if I had to be out of the house so early every morning, with kids in tow, and then be a function enough to perform a job! You are a superstar :)

Allison said...

Oh Andrea! I can not tell you how much I needed to read this post this morning. I am having a guilty mom that works moment, and you reminded me of the reasons of why we do it. THANK YOU! I love you!