We shopped, had lunch and most importantly, had a chance to talk.
In my smallish pitty party, I was explaining to her that I just feel like running away sometimes.
But when I do get a chance to get away, like the day we were spending together, I feel an extreme amount of guilt for a whole variety of reasons: not being with my girls, not being with Q, the list goes on and on, but those are the two main things that seem to eat away at me.
And when these things eat away at me, I get all fussed up, and the small things that were just sort of bothering me seem to compound and pretty soon the smallest issue becomes huge. Like the fact that I have no time to read a book or do an art project, it really becomes a monster issue.
Maybe you can relate, because my mom certainly could and she passed along the advice her mom shared with her, when she was younger and complaining of the same things...and so, I thought I'd share it.
No matter where you go, you take yourself with you.
So, I guess that would mean the running away option wouldn't really help me - huh?
3 comments:
That's some pretty clever and true advice: "No matter where you go, you take yourself with you." It kinda goes along with what I have said for many, many years: "I'm my own best friend;" which is my way of saying that I actually enjoy my own company immensely. Sounds kinda arrogant I suppose, but you know what I mean! :)
Anyways, I think it's a mom thing. I really do. On those very rare occasions that I am without my two loveys, I feel guilty and strange. But mainly just strange, like I'm out there in the world without my limbs. Just a torso. It never feels quite right. And therein lies the conflict because oh how I do love naptime so I can just hang with my BFF! Matter of fact, I wish I could hang with her more. She's fun, easy, does whatever I want to do, and there's no pressure to even carry on an intelligent conversation.
Am I worrying you with all this strange third-person talk?? Hmm, maybe next time I go somewhere I should leave "her" at home. :)
Seriously though, no answers here except that I think the bottom line is that we are being incredibly silly. Maybe if we could just lighten up a bit and consider it a good thing for all parties involved when we do treat ourselves to some me-time! So this evening maybe you could stop by the bookstore, pick up an Emily Giffin novel, and give yourself thirty minutes to spend reading with your BFF?! She probably misses you!
(Longest comment ever?)
Aren't Mom's just so wise? No matter what, it's always good to let those feelings out even if you won't actually ever run away. :) Well, except for a trip to Target that is! :)))
I love your mom! What great advice from such a lovely lady :)
Post a Comment