The girls went back to school this week, and for Elsie it was a sweet reunion with old friends in a familiar place. It was amazing to see her so happy and excited. She really does thrive off of the structure, constant stimulation and people she is around.
For Brynn, it wasn't quite so sweet. When Brynn left school, she was just over a year old and has been home with Q ever since. While she reunited with the same little people she was with as a baby, she didn't remember them, and the classroom setting was totally new.
As we walked in together, I could feel her body temperature rise and the grip she had around my neck tighten, tighten, tighten. Oh, I knew this was going to be hard.
As we said good bye, both of us crying, I could hardly make it out the door without bursting into one of those loud, blubbering, sobs. I got to my car and just let go...
When I picked Brynn and Elsie up at lunch time (half-days just to ease them in) they were both happy as could be. Elsie was kind of shocked she had to leave so early and Brynn gave her teacher and a little friend Erica a hug goodbye followed by a "see you amarrow!"
With each drop off, as the week went on, the tears lessened and by Friday, Brynn dove right into an art project when we walked in the door, next to her friends.
As we said good bye, both of us crying, I could hardly make it out the door without bursting into one of those loud, blubbering, sobs. I got to my car and just let go...
When I picked Brynn and Elsie up at lunch time (half-days just to ease them in) they were both happy as could be. Elsie was kind of shocked she had to leave so early and Brynn gave her teacher and a little friend Erica a hug goodbye followed by a "see you amarrow!"
With each drop off, as the week went on, the tears lessened and by Friday, Brynn dove right into an art project when we walked in the door, next to her friends.
...a sister:
Today my not-so-little brother Tim raced in the Haulin' Aspen (great name huh!?) marathon. It's a pretty cool course, all on trails through the woods finishing up at a beautiful park along the Deschutes River, called Aspen Meadows. Nice place to spend a summer morning.
Today my not-so-little brother Tim raced in the Haulin' Aspen (great name huh!?) marathon. It's a pretty cool course, all on trails through the woods finishing up at a beautiful park along the Deschutes River, called Aspen Meadows. Nice place to spend a summer morning.
If you don't know, Tim is a phenomenal runner, seriously, he's legit. He is easily the most dedicated, committed, goal oriented person I know.
He is amazing.
He is my hero.
Rewind to a little less than a year ago, at the Portland Marathon...Tim was racing, and at the half-way point was in 3rd place overall (yes!) and out of no where he cramped. Both calves at the same time and he went down, literally and figuratively.
Today was about redemption.
This was the first marathon he's ran since the Portland "Massacre."




5 comments:
I love this post!!!!
What a cute picture of the girls, and I'm so glad that their first week back in school went well and that Brynn dove right in by the end of the week! I honestly can't imagine how you felt as you drove away that first day- I'm sure that it was harder on you than on Brynn, but nonetheless, so tough! Yes, be proud to be a mother- you are a great one!
And TIM!!!! 1st place!!! Did you all know that he was in the lead as you waited for him?? Or was it a surprise as he crossed the finish line before anyone else???
So cool- can't believe his time! Geesh!
It was all a surprise with Tim...he was literally running through the forest and then popped out into a clearing where there was a trail and about 200 yards of viewing has he crossed the finish line...totally adding to the drama factor!!
:o)
Okay, um, you just totally and compeletly made my chest tighten reading the drop-off story.
I. Dread. That. Day.
Please tell me that it never, ever has to come!! Alright, since we both know that it has to, at least I find comfort in the fact that both Elsie and Brynn are having a blast playing with their peeps and learning great social skills! Seriously though, if I would have been in that car with you, I would have bawled my eyes out right along with you. Hang in there mama and know that it is sadly what we all must endure!
Sweet for your brother! Now it's all coming together...no wonder you are such a rockstar too! :)
Awesome Andrea!!! It's all i have....so sick.
I can totally relate to dropping off E. I threw up in the parking lot my first day back. It does get easier-I promise! There may even come a day that you look at all the activities they have planned and see it as a day of fun for them-I am still working on that part though personally. I am so proud that both you and the girls made it through.
BTY-Hooray TIM! I think that it is cool to just run a marathon, but to win one is outstanding!
Post a Comment