December 22, 2009

Some Christmas Cheer!

It's been a while since I posted something cheerful...I've whined about the weather, about the troubles I've been having, but realized today, that I needed to share the good times that have been going on as well. And, after downloading photos, I realized, that there has been much good, I've got an abundance in my little life, and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy on the inside! I hope you all enjoy the photo recap!!


Elsie and I had a special date to see The Princess and The Frog - her first movie in the big theater!! I've dreamed of the day I could take my little girl to the Disney movies, just she and I, sharing Skittles in the dark. Here we are ready to leave - dose she not look so fancy!?
(By the way, the movie was wonderful!)

Moonshine mission complete!
The homemade Kahlua has been a well received gift amongst our friends and family. I think I'll do it again next year.



To go along with the Kahlua, sugared pecans (and today's tip! see recipe below!!)
A warning to those who try - these are addicting, make a double batch, heck even a triple and buy your nuts at Costco; best deal I've found!



Pecan Vanilla Bean Shortbread.
Need I say more? Oh, alright - to totally toot my own horn - these little morsels are amazing! I had this fear of shortbread and I decided to go for it this year...and OMG with a nice hot cup of coffee these little cookies make me warm all over!




A close up of the sugared edges - a must!



Fairies!
Let's just say, from the point they wake to bedtime, this is the preferred attire at our house these days. And, I don't really mind it at all!!




We celebrated an early Christmas with Q's side of the family since his brothers and Beth wont be here for the real day...here's the girls all dressed up for Grandma's house.



Auntie Bessie came over to decorate graham cracker - gingerbread houses this year. I think from this point forward it will be an annual tradition! The girls (including Beth and I) had so much fun, and ended up with terrible tummy aches from snitching all the candy!!


Brynners!!



The finished village.



My mom brought this little dandy over - it's an advent calendar for the 12 days of Christmas. The girls have LOVED opening each little door after they eat a good dinner (parenting trick!) Each door has two little treats behind it, from nail polish, to stamps, and the occasional sweet treat - it's as much fun for me to see as it is for the girls!
Awe, mommy!



Another crafty adventure - this one involving glitter, glue and paint - the girls decorated some tree and angle cut outs I found at Michaels, and eventually we strung them up to make a pretty garland. Here's Brynn loving the glitter puffy paint (who doesn't love that stuff!?)



And Elsie painting her trees and angles - pink and purple of course - these were nicely doused in glitter later on! Beautiful!



My two happy crafters. They are my off-spring!!

So, that's our festive little recap. It makes me happy to see all that we've done together as a family. Tomorrow is Santa's Christmas Cookie-day. We'll do the classic sugar cookies and icing - sure to be a good time and messy fun! And, maybe if it all goes well, we'll try to meet Santa...

Now, for the goods, the tip you've all been waiting for!!

Classic Sugared Holiday Nuts
2 large egg whites (about 1/4 cup)
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 cups lightly toasted pecan halves

To toast the pecans:
Preheat oven to 350. Place raw nuts on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, turning once or twice. Let nuts cool.

To sugar the pecans:
1. Preheat oven to 250.
2. Place egg whites in large stainless steel bowl and whisk until frothy (a workout!). Slowly whisk in the sugar and salt until thick. Fold in the pecans and toss until well coated.
3. Transfer the pecans to baking sheet (I spray just a little bit of non-stick spray on the sheet) and arrange in a single layer. Place in the oven and bake, stirring gently every 15 minutes, until the meringue covers the nuts, 35-40 minutes.
4. Remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes, then remove the nuts from the pan with a metal spatula and set aside (on parchment paper) to cool before serving or storing.

3 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

I have no idea where to begin!!! Chiristmas cheer is right!!!! Your cottage is overflowing with Holiday magic!!! The photos were so fun! Thanks for sharing them all!!! My favorite...the fairies hands down!!!! Your girls are beyond adorable and such minime's of their Momma!

Your recipe looks TDF!!!! I can't wait to try!!! Your family and friends who were on the receiving end must have been overjoyed!

I can't believe the culinary queen was intimidated by the shortbread! You rocked it!!! The sugared edges were amazing!

Happy baking today!!!!

comfy cozy said...

OMGSH!! I felt all warm and fuzzy just looking at your photos filled with Christmas cheer! And seriously, that is no lie! Your girls just melt my heart- they are sooo adorable!

Okay, from the trip to the movies(which I can totally relate; I'm dying for that day!!), to the artistically, impressivly packaged bottles of Kahlua, to the little fairies, to the amazing gingerbread village, the baked goodies, and the little crafters with adorable aprons to boot... it's got my head spinning! You have outdone yourself!! You are one blessed mama, that's for sure! And Q and the girls are blessed to have YOU too!!!!!!!

Mmm, can't wait to try the recipe, although we have a serious to-do baking list so it may just have to wait until after Christmas. Besides, those things look like they want to be center stage anyways! :)

Annie said...

I LOVE YOUR FAIRIES!!!!!! So cute-soooooooooooo cute!
What an awesome photo recap!
I am so happy that you and Elsie enjoyed The Princess and the Frog together! Lucy and I went with Donna, and we all loved it.
You have been a busy holiday girl, and I am so impressed! The gingerbread village is amazing, your kahlua looks fab, and the treats look SO YUMMY!
And I was so happy to see a picture of you :) I miss YOU!!!
Your girls are so lucky that you are so crafty and that you let them make stuff with glitter! Lucy would just be beside herself! Maybe this should inspire me to go do a craft with Lu.
Great blog- thanks for sharing and making me smile!