"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
Martin Luther King Jr.
Lately, I've been having trouble trusting.
Trusting in that God is in control, and that I need to let Him do His work.
Trusting that things are moving the direction intended, not because of me, but because of the greater plan He has designed for us.
Trusting that things will work out, even without my fretting, worrying, fussiness, and desperate attempts to fix it all.
Allow me to elaborate.
Just this week a golden opportunity came along, a potential job offer for Q. In March, it will be a year since Q has worked. It will be a year since Brynn has been at home full time and a year since I am convinced the necessity to dye my hair has become more critical month after month (grey hair joke!) Life's not been easy. Money seems to run through this household like water through a colander...ok, maybe something a little thicker than water, but you know where I'm at.
Everything hinged on there being availability at the school where the girls recently left. And within one quick 10 minute phone call, we learned there's a 3 month wait for Brynn to have a spot. I immediately was bummed; and Q's first response to me was, "can you think of a way to fix this?" Simple enough question, right?
Wrong - the question was loaded.
Instantly I was in a tail spin. How could I fix this? How could I have an answer to this problem? Why couldn't I make this work. Answer was...it's beyond my control. Way beyond my control.
I turned into a crazy woman. I was mad at Q. Mad at the school. Mad at almost everyone who asked me about the situation, anyone who even just looked at me. I was mad at being me being mad. Maybe, more than anything, I was mad at the fact that there was absolutely nothing I could do about it. Not a thing.
I kept thinking to myself, in fleeting moments, that I just needed to relax and trust that things would work out. But for some reason, trusting seemed nearly impossible. All of this in the past tense because now the fiasco, the drama and the stress seems to have subsided. But the true issue at heart is that I am having trouble trusting in the Lord. And, it makes me sad.
This year has been a rough one for the Wilson's. Probably the most difficult to date. And for all my worries, all my sleepless nights and angry spells, the Lord has really answered. If I look back at all our events this year, there's been a consistent pattern...event occurs...I freak out...I begin to feel helpless...I finally figure it out that I need to do some serious prayer time...and without fail the problems do eventually resolve.
Q's job situation will work itself out. I would have to be blind if I didn't see that him being home this past year has been amazing for the girls and his relationship. I know they have a connection that is far more strong than before, and for this I am so thankful. I've got to try and look on the bright side of things. We didn't loose everything with our houseing fiasco. In fact, we are happier in the cottage than in the big house. Our credit wasn't affected to terribly and we do still have a home.
I think my problem hinges on patience and timing. When I want it fixed, I want it fixed yesterday and I'm getting worse and worse as I get older. That whole 'patience is a virtue' seems to be a virtue that eludes me.
When I arrived to work this morning, the quote above was in an email - like someone stuck their hand through the computer screen and slapped me.
Someone was saying...have faith and trust....and I'm saying...I'll try to do my best.
8 comments:
Ahh, yes, Faith- believing in something that you can not see. It's singlehandedly the hardest thing to conquer, especially when you are a realist (such as myself) and SEEING the results just makes sense.
I'm so sorry that it's been a challenge; one I can relate with all too well. It is a beautiful thing in and of itself however to reflect back to those low times in your life when you could barely muster a hopeful thought, let alone much faith, and know that God really did have a plan for you. After all, we are here and relatively healthy, with roofs over our heads, and food in our tummies, and people to love that love us back.
One of my most favorite sayings and I think it's worth repeating because I know I've said it before is "this too shall pass." And it will, Andrea. I loved to read the up-side that you are able to see in the situations of your cottage and Q being home with the girls. Even if it sometimes just feels like you're faking your positivity (I say that because I know I do sometimes), it's the best step you can make. Keeping the good thoughts everpressent will really help keep your focus straight.
You are blessed and I'm sending you a big huge hug! Thanks for being so open! I love our little support group! :)
Oh Andrea! I love your honesty. I know that you and your family will continue to be blessed. It is hard to see how it all works out without the gift of foresight, but it all will! God will bless you and your family whether your faith is thick or thin. It will all be in His timing, which often does not coincide with our own-BUT-you will be blessed. I love you!
Andrea! I love this post and the quote! It's so true!
Trust me from someone who just came out of a three year storm that you will have better times!! What you are going through now will make you stronger than you could ever imagine!
I PROMISE!!!!
As always, thanks for being so honest and sharing with what I think is the best little support group going! :)
One more thing, I am so happy to hear that you are happier Wilson clan in the cottage!!! You know, we had a big move too and it's amazing how much better off we are for it! Really hang in there Andrea, God is good and he is so faithful!!! Which is easier said than done when it comes to relying on him, from one controlling gal to another, this I know!
BTW we are buying lottery tickets tonight and there is no way we would leave you out of the winnings and I am feeling lucky! :))))))))))))
I finally checked my mailbox and what to my wondering eyes did appear but a cute little card with three adorable girls sweeter than any reindeer!
Hee-hee, ha-ha, it kinda rhymes, right?! Thanks for the card; I loved it! :)
Ooooo I loved my card too!!!!! ADORABLE!!!! BTW, I didn't ever get mine out, so just picture that it was lovely! :)))
Oh, Buddy! I'm late to comment, but I love you and you are right- trusting is so tough. I love your honesty. It seems that God is truly revealing himself to you during this time of stress and worry. It isn't easy to let go of control, but what control do we really have?????? Your family will be blessed by the challenges that you are facing- I think that God will surprise you! Read the first chapter of the book of James (I could use to read it too!), it is such a good reminder that hard times serve a purpose!
Thanks buddies - I appreciate all your kind words...and Annie, I'm going to read your recommendation tonight! Thanks!
Post a Comment