August 19, 2009

Don't forget the pickle butts!

I got a call late this morning, my pickling cucumbers were ready to pick up. They'd been picked fresh at the farm early, early this morning, and then the produce stand guys picked them up and after work it was...
GAME TIME!!

My first batch of pickles boiling away


half way there! notice how much the color changed!

Dunzo!
25 quarts of whole pickles, and 3 pints of PICKLE BUTTS!

So, this is where I get silly...was it the Mikes Hard Lemonade we sipped on while we worked away!?...we'll never know!

When making pickles, Tammie told me that we should always trim off the 'blossom end' of the pickle - it keeps them extra crisp. Who doesn't love a crispy pickle!? So, after trimming all the pickles, we had a bowl full of stumps, and I said - hey, why don't we can these too? Kind of like a bite size, pickle popper if you will!

Then it came out, out of no where...I called them pickle butts and oh, man, we were a hootin' and hollerin' all over the kitchen! Maybe they'll be a white elephant gift this Christmas? A stocking stuffer? Who knows - I just think they are hilarious!
Canning was really fun and surprisingly easy.
I always feel great when I learn something new. I'm excited to try them, but we'll have to wait about 1 month for the flavors to fully develop - wild!

What should I can next!? I'm leaning towards peaches...sooo yummy!

1 comment:

comfy cozy said...

You had me at the title, wondering what in the world was going on! I know I've been gone a while and all but, pickle butts!! :)

I love that you had a blast making them and cracking up in the kitchen! That is too funny! 3 pints of pickle butts is, well, a lot of pickle butts! You could give them to all your family members for the holidays, pass them out to the homeless, leave them on the doorsteps of all your neighbors...and then be known around town as the Pickle Butt Lady or Pickle Butt Andrea! Hee hee! :))