10 hours.
10 long, tiring, but, rewarding hours.
The main living room, dining room and 2 hallways in the "back to where we began home" are now a fresh shade of Cottage White. Gone are the smudged, marked, and dingy walls of the past. We now have a fresh, clean slate to start over in.
It's amazing how many shades of white there are available, even more amazing, there really is a difference between each of them...as silly as it may seem, I admit, I finally settled upon our shade of taupey-creamy-white because of it's name.
As we are preparing to move back to our first home, I keep finding myself hunting for the perfect descriptive words to help me cope.
Cozy rather than small.
Quaint instead of common starter home.
And, now, add "cottage" - who doesn't like a cottage?
Can you see I am still struggling? Daily, I try to convince myself that things will work out and this will be a great move for our family. Some days I do a much better job that others with my pep talks. Today, was a good day - most likely because I accomplished something positive.
Back to paint colors...
The girls are going to share a room in the new house. It's Elsie's original nursery, and it's still painted the same as when we left, which I find extremely comforting. I spent hours choosing the right colors and then many hours working on the final design for our new little boy or girl. Here's a picture that I took 5 days before she was born.

Kind of cute, huh?
The lighter shade of green is called Christopher Robin's Swing, and the darker shade is Palm Leaf. Yeah, again, the names helped seal the deal.
And then our kitchen. It's painted in Mocha.
Need I say more?!
I'd still like to repaint our bedroom before we move in - pressure is on to find a color that evokes calm, soothing, restful, peaceful sleepiness!
Our timeline to move is rapidly approaching.
Last week we received and signed the final purchase agreement from the bank. This is great news, it means they have accepted the offer on our house and it looks like everything is set to close by the end of July. I know our buyers would like to move in sooner, and we might be able to make it all work out. Kind of a win-win for everyone...I suppose.
So, in the meantime, we continue to work away at the other house.
Q and a friend tore up the old sod in the backyard yesterday (the renters dog did some MAJOR damage) and next week the new pretty green grass will go in.
I am so excited! It will look awesome!
We've decided to take tomorrow off - Father's Day should be a restful day, and the father in this family deserves a sleep in and a day off!
6 comments:
Fab post, Andrea! You are soo right about the whole name thing...it really does somehow "seal the deal" when choosing a paint color. You're such a good writer, putting into words things I think but somehow don't think to articulate! And here's another heartfelt compliment for ya...what an AMAZING job you did on Elsie's room! I love the gender neutral colors you chose (well, you kinda had to!) that I would have chosen too if only I saw those pics when I was prego! You are quite talented, my dear!
I'm sorry you still have some off days about the whole moving thing. Just try to remember that you are creating a more financially secure "quaint" and "cozy" home for your fam and that will have its benefits in an all-around happier home! I promise you that you are making the smartest move!
I hope you guys have a nice Father's Day!
I am in love with your nursery!!! Just how did you do the white decorative design?! And the greens are just fabulous! Green being my favorite color and all...I am just you know what with envy! Really, depressed now because we can't paint at our new house. Yes I was happy it was all a nice shade of tan which is fine for the living room etc. Not for my girls's rooms! It just won't do! I am looking for suggestions on what could make the walls colorful without painting. :)
I am so with Sadina on this being a perfect move for you! I know i's probably hard at times but let the woulda coulda shoulda's just fly right out the window! Your home or should I say your cottage :) is simply adorable and filled with all the things a home needs! LOVE and WARMTH!!!
Hope you are having the best Father's Day with your fam!
PS If I haven't old you before...I am loving the new background!
You girls are the BEST!
Thanks for the extended love - I am really feeling it!
The green bedroom was inspired from a PB Baby room and the white swoops were measured with great percision by nothing other than...a pizza pan!
OK Lisa - I have an idea for tan walls that need some lovin. I did a search on Etsy a few days ago you'll love it...type in 'birds for walls' and you'll get all these fab shops with peel and stick decor for your walls. I LOVE so many of them I don't even know where to start!!
hooray for cottage white!!!
I know that this isn't easy for you, but I honestly believe with all my heart that this is going to be a great move for your family! It is a perfect house, and with new paint and the new flooring, you are practically living out one of the HGTV home make-over shows! I am even a bit envious that you are doing these projects :) I wish that my walls had a fresh coat of cottage white!!!
Andrea!!! Thanks for the tips!!! You know how I love Etsy! I will be searching for those birdies momentarily!! I still can't imagine how you did the swoops but HGTV is right!!
Annie was commenting at midnight! She is so wiiiild! :)
Post a Comment