March 25, 2011

I'm All Talk

So, my big Spring Break cleaning plans that I previously posted about are a total bust.
I have instead, spent the last 4 days on the couch spooning a Kleenex box flipping between QVC and HSN.
Pathetic.

It seems that any time I find myself with some time off of work, I end up with a nasty cold. I'm sick and tired of spending my days off being sick and tired. And, even worse, not getting anything checked off of my 'to-do-list.'

The cleaning agenda will get accomplished at some point. I can guarantee you it wont be this week. We've now moved into basic survival / cleaning mode...as in, if the surface looks clean, that's good enough for me.

Bleh.

Instead of share my woe-es-me's and complain about the weather (it's snowing here this morning) I though I'd share a recipe for our new, most favorite salad.

I've made this salad at least 3 times in the past couple of weeks, and I'm making it again tonight to take and share with some friends of ours. Yes, people, the Wilson's are getting out of the house! We are headed over to The Johnson's house to watch some March Madness, eat pizza and let the girls (they have two too) run a muck while we, the parents, just kick back and hang out. Lovely!

Back to the salad - here's what you'll need: spinach, avocado, cauliflower, slivered almonds and balsamic vinegar dressing (I love the fat free Trader Joes version).

Super simple prep:
1. wash and de-stem (is that a word? a verb?) the spinach
2. lightly toast the almonds just until they are golden
3. cauliflower - break a few of the "flowers" into super small pieces, I use about 1/4 cup
4. avocado - cut into bite size cubes, I always use the entire avocado because you can't ever have too much avocado

Put the spinach in a bowl, add the cauliflower, then the avocado and then the dressing, enough to cover and toss it gently - don't bruise your spinach, don't muck your avocados up - then add the almonds and serve it up baby.

Now I've never been to Paris, and I am not really sure what French cuisine entails - lots of sauce and butter is about all I know - but I like to pretend that I am enjoying this salad at some Parisian Cafe sitting near the Eiffel Tower enjoying a view like this...






4 comments:

Allison said...

I am stuck in an aiport where my two dining options are Burger King hamburgers made 3 hours ago sitting under the heat lamp or the pastries at Starbucks made yesterday-my mouth is watering at the thought of that salad. It is going on my "to-make" list. Rob takes care of the meat in the house, and I take care of the salads! Thanks for sharing!

Molly Andersson said...

Your salad sounds so Yummy!!! I have just recently become a huge fan of avocado and there really can never be enough!! I've been sick a ton too this year!! No fun!!! Get well soon!!

Annie said...

So, my first question is- did you buy anything on QVC or HSN??? I was watching a little bit earlier this week, and I decided that I could easily get sucked into home-shopping!!
I'm so sorry that you were so sick. What a bummer of a spring break! I hope that you are feeling better and not worrying too much about your to-do list. Take care of yourself- that is #1 on that list!
Your salad sounds delish! And pretty easy! I'll try it!
Pretty picture of the Eiffel and the balloons!
Love you!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Sorry you are sickie!!!! Your salad sounds AMAZING!!!! I am going to try it today!!!