December 15, 2010

Hanging by a...

...a ribbon...
is a poof, and there's just no better way to describe it.

Made from coffee filters and a styrofoam ball (yes, I know!) it might be the most painfully rewarding hot glue project I've ever done. I love the way it turned out.

As with many of my recent projects, my source of inspiration is here.

Hanging by a...
little longer stretch of ribbon is 'cheery' Christmas bunting.


I had an extra poof, so I put it in a basket...and finally, that super high, troublesome shelf in our house looks festive! It's a challenge for me every year knowing what to do way up high.


Hanging by a...
carefully placed hook are our ornaments.


I love that the girls are so helpful and that our ornaments are 'non-breakable' so for now, I don't have to fret and hover over them as they get into the Christmas spirit.


Hanging by a...
ribbon, hooks; but what about a thread?


Oh, yes, well, that would be me.


I'm not sure what it is, but I am barely hanging in these days.
This Christmas season has me feeling anything but jolly. There are just too many things going on and I am spread way to thin. Picture me a crepe in a pan and the pour soul who is trying to flip that tender little circle of thin, watery batter is dangerously close to having a huge hole in the middle tear through.

When I finally do make it from the pan, to the plate, I'm that crepe whose filling better be light and creamy, because anything with weight or lumps will cause a severe blow out.

How's my metaphor working?


I'm not even close to being ready for Christmas, Santa has some serious work to finish up. I consider it a small miracle that our house is decorated, and of the many craft projects for this holiday, only about half have been finished and I finally packed up the mess this weekend and called it good.



I want desperately not to short change my girls this exciting time of the year and especially at the special age they are at. The pressure is unreal and I wonder how other mothers do it all.


Now, I understand that most of this pressure is self induced and I only have myself to blame; but where does one draw the line? When do you call it quits so you can finally enjoy your family and the true meaning of Christmas? I just don't seem to know and I have never been a good one to judge that stopping point.


I guess the real issue is how do I stop myself from ruining our 'family holiday' because I am trying too hard to make it 'perfect.' When do all those things I am trying to remind myself I am thankful for kick in and take over from the everyday humm?


(note to readers, this is more of a rhetorical question, please don't feel pressure to provide me an answer; however, if you have the secret figured out, you better be leaving a comment - please)


thanks for listening

2 comments:

Allison said...

That is a good question, but I unfortunately do not have the answer!. I too am always asking myself when is it enough on a lot of issues!!! I am not great at being content. But on the bright side your decorations do look amazing. Those up-high cut-outs are always a problem area in most homes-but not yours-it looks great.

Love you! :)

Annie said...

I wish I had some great advice for you. I also wish that I had some super encouraging words about how you will feel so much better tomorrow (or the next day) (or the day after that). What I can tell you is that YOU ARE NOT ALONE! Holidays are very stressful, and busy, and sometimes depressing, and always overwhelming, and you have a lot on your plate right now, and you are not alone!
Your girls are happy, and Christmas will be full of great memories for them, so don't worry about ruining anything for them :) They are young enough to believe that Christmas is magical :)
Your crafts look great! Crafting is such a productive creative outlet for you! Your decorations look really festive.
I love you, and you are going to get through this!