July 12, 2010

On The Rogue...Again

Just can't wait to get on the Rogue again...
Ha ha...do you get my funny song?

That's the song we are singing around our house...okay, maybe 3 out of the 4 of us are singing, the other one, well, she's temporarily stressing out!

I'm currently in the midst of another packing tornado , and for some reason it seems like a totally appropriate use of my time to sit down and blog about it.

Therapy? Yes, I think so.

We will be leaving on Wednesday morning for Agness, Oregon where the Rogue and the Illinois Rivers meet, for a week of fun in the hot sun on the water. It will be great, once we get there and get settled in, but the to-do lists that will ensure our every need is met beforehand are wearing me out! Target, Walmart, Costco, Trader Joe's...Oh my!

Please don't label me ungrateful, because I really am looking forward to another trip with the family, I just am worn out. It seems like I just keep packing and unpacking that trailer from the fridge to my undies and with each trip I feel more tired than before.

This weekend I prepped and prepped and prepped, our crafts, our snacks, our daily activity options and most importantly, our food. All of our meals are pre-made so all mama has to do is fire up the BBQ or pop a pan in the oven and we'll be set.

Here's one of our favorites - easy peasy, freezes well and is pretty darn tasty (if I do say so!)

Chili Verde Casserole
(aka "Dumpn' Enchiladas")

2 1/2 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts - baked and shredded
2 16oz jars salsa verde
1 15oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15oz can corn, drained and rinsed
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup sour cream
3 cups crushed tortilla chips (1 bag is just right)
8oz bag of Mexican style shredded cheese

Mix all ingredients (except for chips and cheese) in a large bowl.
Grease 9x13 pan and scatter 1 cup of chips on bottom, top with 1/2 of the chicken mixture and 1/2 of the cheese. Repeat layers and finish with remaining tortilla chips.

Bake 375 for 30 minutes (covered) until bubbly and hot.
It's best served with fresh tomatoes and guac to top it off.

This is what I'm serving up to the group for the one 'community dinner' I'm in charge of. I'm planning to accessorize the dish with a tasty southwest style salad and of course, some serious chips, salsa and guac action as an appetizer! I hope it does the trick!

What I'm looking forward to the most:
The long car ride there, a good nap is in order!
Playing some cribbage with Q,
Back-Alley Bridge (a Wilson family favorite card game),
Reading a book - although, I'm still trying to decide which one,
Watching the mail boats race by and seeing the girls wave at all the people on board,
Taking our daily walks to the Agness store for an ice cream treat,
Setting up treasure hunts for the girls (maps and 'shubbles' included),
Taking boat rides and floating in the water,
and...

Dinner at Singin' Springs Lodge, where these overalls hang in the grassy yard across the gravel driveway...


What a great week it will be, in a trailer, down by the river (Chris Farley anyone? ha ha!)

4 comments:

comfy cozy said...

Love it! Sounds like exactly what we were suppossed to be doing this week, except in Yosemite and sans the trailer. We just roll with the tent, but maybe someday we can achieve trailer status! :)

I bet the girls just have the time of their little lives! And I think it's so awesome that you are so close with Q's family! Sometimes the whole in-law thing can get a little awkward...I'm just sayin'. Seriously though, I love all the games that you guys play while camping...we do the same except we mix in the backgammon (maybe it's the same as back alley bridge?). And what a prepared mama you are! That's the way to do it, so that you can enjoy yor time there! And your dish sounds like a serious crowd-pleaser!

Have fun on the Rouge...ahhh, you lucky people that live in the Northwest!!

May I join in? Just can't wait to get back on the Rouge again...

comfy cozy said...

P.S. May I recommend for you the fab and fluffy author Emily Giffin??!! She only has a few books out there, but I think you'd agree that she is awesome! She manages to point out all the intricacies in a woman's head. She's pretty brilliant actually, and I don't use that word lightly. "Love the One You're With" is a good one to start with. Just in case you were needing suggestions or maybe not if you're anything like me and you already have a dozen books that are patiently waiting in your to-read pile! :)

Wilson Girlzz said...

Oh, thanks for the book tips...I will most certainly check Emily out :o)

Yeah, the in-law situation, it's a little hot and cold...but for now we are doing pretty good.

I'm just sayin'...sometimes it'd be nice to go somewhere all by our big-selves (as the girls say) :o)

Annie said...

Ok, I am totally diggin' your mood right now! You are crackin' me up! I do like your little song, and, yes, I do believe that it is theraputic to sit and blog while there is tons of work to do to prepare for your outing!
You totally have my sympathy, btw, because that is so much pre-planning! But, yes, once you get settled in to camp, you'll be livin' large and feeling fine!
Have a great time!!!!!!!