April 9, 2010

Totally...Epic



"The real purpose of running isn't to win a race; it's to test the limits of the human heart."
Bill Bowerman

Remember about 4 months ago when I posted something crazy?
That silly list of goals to work toward during the big 20-10?
Uh, yeah, I think I referred to them 'resolutions.'


To honor #2 on the list I have officially entered into a commitment, and am now a member of a team. I am 1 of 12, on team Running With Scissors, and we are running an Epic Relay (really, that's what it's called!)


This relay is pretty wild, intense, insane, and lasts through two days and nights; and I'm totally, 100% sure I have no idea what to expect.

It starts in Portland and ends in Eugene - a mere 169.13 total miles traveled. There are 36 legs to this race, each team member runs 3 legs; depending on the legs you run of the race you will run anywhere between 11-20 miles total. We'll be running around the clock - dawn, dusk, middle of the night (I already said I can't run those middle of the night legs...I'm afraid of the dark!) for two days, sleeping in vans for the few hours we can and hopefully, doing really well and having tons of fun!


Running With Scissors raced last year but lost a few members and I was invited to join the team this year. I accepted and then came home and was like "OMG! What did I just agree to do!?" - but a commitment is a commitment and so here I am...in training mode. Now that I'm a few weeks in, I'm actually beginning to enjoy myself and I can feel improvements when I run...I'm not super fast (yet! ha!) my focus now is building stamina...charging my little batteries so I can just keep going and going and going - think Energizer Bunny!

The race is June 25-26.
I have 76 days (who's counting!?) until it's go time.
Goals are good!

If you want to check out my insanity, CLICK HERE!

Besides running - life moves on.
Easter was great, even though it snowed, we managed to have a wonderful time together and pretended it was 'springy' outside!

We hosted a brunch for our family and, if I do say so myself, it was a big success. The menu consisted of quiche, roasted potatoes and asparagus, ham, zucchini bread muffins, lemon pound cake with fresh berries and homemade lemon curd (like lemon pudding) to finish us off.

OK, let's get real here - the lemon curd was to-die-for! I found the recipe in one of my Barefoot Contessa cookbooks and although it seemed a little 'out there' I decided to go for it. Heaven help me! I am SO happy that I tried because it's marvelous...I'll post the recipe soon - you'll love me for it (and then hate me because you wont be able to stop!)

This weekend should be much more relaxing; I'm ready for a little stay home time with my girls.

Q's headed over to Eugene tomorrow to take a big set of tests to renew his elementary teaching license. It's like the SAT's for teachers...I'm nervous, and so is he. This is a huge step for him - and I am very proud and hopeful. He really would make an amazing teacher. If you think of it, a little prayer for Q-b-do tomorrow would be much appreciated by all!!

I'm optimistic that my girls day tomorrow will involve some play time outside - we are supposed to have a break in our icky weather, and the sunshine and warmth would be much appreciated by this family....just look how cute Brynners is in the sun from last summer!!



5 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!! A TDF Brunch menu and a WILD AND CRAZY RUN!!!!! Okay, the Brunch I can accept because you are a culinary queen! The training for the did I mention WILD run sounds so awesome!!! GO ANDREA!!!!

I love the picture of Brynner's!!!

Annie said...

I think that your run is going to be SO MUCH FUN! I think that the commaraderie (how do you spell that word?) alone will be a driving force, and you will feel so good to have participated and accomplished your share of miles. I don't blame you at all for not wanted to run at night! Freaky!!
Q will do great on his test- I just know it- and yes, he will be an amazing teacher!!
Have fun with your little ladies! I hope you get to enjoy some sun!
Oh, and I can't wait for lemon curd! And curd is such a funny word :)

Allison said...

I am soooo proud of you for running in this race. Epic really is the right word. I am here to cheer you on!

comfy cozy said...

Wow!! I'm super impressed and so proud of you! I think you've got the right idea because committing to a group of people will make you committ to yourself; good for you! I know you can do and you'll totally rock it! And I don't blame you one bit on the whole running-at-night thing! Scary!

Well, seeing as I was offline all weekend, I'm putting a post prayer out there for Q! Keep us posted!

And Baby Brynners is so cute...kinda makes you sweetly sad, huh?!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Sweetly sad indeed...I've got that 'baby itch' big time!