March 26, 2010

Checkup

My 'peanut' and I ventured out into the snow (yes, it snowed about 3 inches this morning) to her 4 year old checkup.

We chatted during the car ride, managed to squeeze in one Taylor Swift song, and then we were there.

Elsie was surprisingly composed while we waited for the doctor to come in.

Weight: 40.25 lbs / 80th percentile

Height: 41.5" / 80th percentile

Shots: none today, we can wait until she's 5 / fabulous

Blood pressure: excellent / who knew they checked 4 year olds blood pressure?

Heart beat: excellent / fabulous

Tummy: feels great / fabulous

Now...the parts I was not expecting...

PART 1:
The nurse calmly asked me if Elsie had ever given a urine sample before. Really?
My answer, obviously, was "no."

She went on..."well, lucky girl, today was going to be the first time." Sure, great, I'm thinking to myself, how on this sweet Earth is this going to happen!? And did she just say 'lucky'?

Elsie and I trotted to the potty, where I was equipped with one rubber glove (nice) and the 'specimen cup' - upon shutting the door, we both immediately got the giggles. We could hardly contain ourselves, me and my peanut, giggling about piddle...it's a moment I hope to never forget!

Remarkably enough, it was a smooth procedure, and mama did her job well ;o)

PART 2:
A vision test.
Hmmm...funny to admit that I have not once thought about the possibility that Elise might have less than perfect vision.

Well, as she covered one eye and identified the apple, house and umbrella it became apparent that the right eye wasn't so stellar and then the left eye got a little worse.

They estimate that she has 20/40 vision in her right and 20/50 in her left - which means she can't see clearly far away. The numbers don't lie...when she responded to one of the smaller images the nurse was pointing at as a "fuzzy ball" I knew something was up.

Off to the eye doctor we go...

Elsie's main concern:
"Do they make pink, sparkly glasses?"

I'm certain they do.

3 comments:

Annie said...

I love this story!
I love the thought of you two giggling in the bathroom!
I love the visual of pink sparkly glasses! How very Fancy Nancy!
What a sweet story- you should print it and keep it with her special stuff :)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Good Day to you Andrea!!! You have no idea how close to home this hits for me!!! Last Monday Kennedy and I experienced a very similar dr visit in the urine sample area!!! We were dying laughing and I am sure we won't soon forget it either!

Tell Elsie that glasses make you look super duper smart and I think she will look FABULOUS!!!

Way to go Momma!

comfy cozy said...

Aww! There just is nothing quite like a mama and her girl! Cute story; I especially love the part about Elsie's clear and apparent need to remain fashionable! :)

Oh, and thanks for the heads-up on the 4 year. BP check?? Who knew??!!

P.S. My peanut still remains in the 3%!!!!