March 17, 2010

Celebrations

Next year, I'm going to start off my St. Patty's Day with a seriously cute cup of Irish Coffee like this. I could have used something sassy like this, this morning, because Lordy, I am whooped!

We've been super busy; and with each event has come a range of emotions and that always seems to take just a little extra toll on the old bod.

This past weekend we had the great pleasure of celebrating two major, milestone birthdays in our family.
On Quentin's side - his grandfather turned 75.
On my side - my grandfather turned 90.

Saturday's agenda: celebrate 75!

Q's grandfather, Lawrence, is a pretty amazing person. He's lived a wild, unorthodox, moment by moment life. He's young at heart and you'd never guess his age from looking at him. He's a handsome cowboy-fisherman-builder. His birthday was a celebration shared with about 50 family and friends. The party was fun with dinner, dancing and drinking. The "I remember when" stories seemed to never end and much of the time he just shook his head and laughed. His cheeks were rosy with joy, and you know, we'll probably be celebrating his 100th in the very same fashion.

Sunday's agenda: celebrate 90!

My grandfather, Ross, is amazing as well. He's lived a completely organized, methodical, calculated life. He was and is still a business man. He made his fortune through hard work in the railroad industry and the as an executive with Chevron. He was in the army, fought in World War II and has stories of following tank tracks in the middle of the night and passing German soldiers, sharing a few German words, they never knew he was an American. His birthday was, needless to say, quite different than Lawrence's.

On Sunday my parents, brother, my only uncle and I loaded up into our car and we headed down to Medford to visit the "Big Guy" as I've always called him. It's a 3 hour drive each way - we'll call that time 'family bonding' - gosh, we bonded!

We celebrated in a quiet room that overlooked the rolling hills of southern Oregon with a tiny cake, some sparkling cider and just the 6 of us enjoyed our hour long visit. After about an hour, he was tired and needed to rest, and so we said goodbye.

It's hard to see people age.
The Big Guy, isn't as tall as he used to be. He can't hear that well, and at times, I know he was checked out. He's still sharp, but he's tired, you can see it in his eyes; and, he misses my late grandmother. The drive home was much more quiet than the ride down. I think we were all processing and I know I really had to hold myself together, that was, maybe, the last visit I will have with the Big Guy.

No lack of emotion this past weekend.

We've gone from Nolan and Beth's sad news to celebrating a young 75 to celebrating and honoring a humbling 90.

What was most important, for me, this past week was all the various ways I have been able to find God. Through sadness and celebration He has blessed our family. He takes care of us in so many different ways all at the same time; it's amazing love.

This next weekend shouldn't be as 'heavy' - I'm ready for a reunion, some dancin' in the kitchen, and laughing off some of my belly that sit ups can't touch. I will most certainly have a fun-over and need a strong, smooth cup of coffee. I can't wait!

3 comments:

comfy cozy said...

Yes, it is so hard to watch loved ones get older. And to think that we will all be there some day. It's a strange thought, but I think it'll be really hard when we watch our parents get old. I can't imagine. I only hope that I'm rich and can build them a nice little house behind ours! :)

Lawrence and the "Big Guy" sound like two amazing men. It's fascinating how different two lives can be, and yet we all end up at the same place. You know?!

I hope you do in fact have a much deserved fun-filled weekend! Laughter IS the best medicine!

Wilson Girlzz said...

It's funny you wrote that how different two lives are and yet we end up in the same place, because I had written that originally, in the context of how interesting it is to think that Q and I ended up together despite such different backgrounds, but then I thought I was getting too mushy...guess not!

You and I have the same "mush factor!" love it!! :o)

comfy cozy said...

Ha! Mush mush!

Yeah, I like to think that we're both pretty mushingly amazing people! :)