February 6, 2010

Mindfulness

I read a fabulous article last night in (sigh) Ladies Home Journal - I know, how old does that make me sound? Even worse, I have a subscription - I'm not sure where it came from because I didn't order it...but why let a magazine go to waste?

Anyways, back to the main point here.

This article, called, Life is Good...Don't Miss It! was fabulous.
It was short, to the point, and I have read it at least 3 times now...some sort of record, I am sure!

The article is about living in the present; being Mindful of your world.

Definition of mindful: the practice of keeping your focus on the present moment.

The 7 main points are basic, but each one is something I can relate to struggling with, but at the same time, wanting to do much more of in my life.

* Be here, now.
Paying attention to what you are doing, while you are doing it, might actually offer you pleasure.
Ask yourself, "how can I re frame the present moment so I feel a sense of joy or gratitude?"

* Do less, get more done.
Engage fully in what you are doing while you are doing it - regardless of what it is.
Stop multi-tasking.

* Slow down.
As you rush around, ask yourself "who is running after you?"

* Take a deep breath.
Breathing deeply can reduce your blood pressure, give you more energy-boosting oxygen, connect you to your body and relax you.

* Unplug.
Technology is great for helping us keep in touch with far-away loved ones. But for the ones near and dear who are actually here - be with them when you can.

* Pay attention to the bell of mindfulness.
Let any and every experience that reminds you to return to the present and pay attention remind you to be mindful. When you are frantic or late, or even bored. Let your very frustration or boredom be what calls you back to the present.

* Let yourself be happy.
What we seek is here already, right under our noses, in our experience of day-to-day living. Your internal sense of happiness is what really makes us truly happy.

Mindfulness is a way to get back to what matters: human contact, meaningful relationships, living kindly, consideration and gratitude.

It is my new intention to be mindful.
I can tell it is going to take practice and I must correct myself as I drift away. I am inspired with the thought offering more of myself to my family, to my girls, and to my passions and being fully invested when I am spending time with them.

4 comments:

comfy cozy said...

Ah, yes, mindfulness! It may just be one of the most important life lessons we learn, especially in this frantic world we live in.

I simply loved the list! Thank you so much for passing that along!

I work really hard on all of those things but I just had to chuckle at the part where it says to "slow down... who is running after you?" Um, I AM!! Yes, I run after myself like a crazy woman...or better yet, picture a dog spinning round and round in circles chasing after its own tale! :)

And you go girl on being more mindful! I totally appreciate the way you always seek awareness! You should be proud of that quality!

Wilson Girlzz said...

That's so funny....I feel like I chase myself too!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Cheers to Ladie's Home Journal! No sigh neccesary Andrea, I love magazines like that!!! You are so funny!!!

This is the best post, as it speaks to my heart right where I am at right now which is trying to be mindful as well! I chase myself around a bit too :) but I have really been trying to be in the moment. Want to know my favorite part? The question "how can I reframe the present moment so I feel a sense of joy or gratitude?" that's the perfect thing to ask yourself when you feel like you are getting a bum deal :)!

Thanks for sharing Andrea!!!

Annie said...

Hello!
Yes, thank you so much for summarizing this article- what a great message!! And it really hits home for me too, especially the multi-tasking part and the rushing part! Gosh, I started so many tasks today, and at this moment I haven't completed any of them and I am now sitting here, holding a sleeping boy, completely frazzled because my chores aren't done! I am going to take a deep breath and enjoy my snuggly sleeper!
And I laughed about the Ladies Home Journal! I love that mag! Forget about Cosmo, Glamour and Allure!!!