I was so excited the other day, I had 4 friend requests (a record for me in one day) and one of them was an old friend of mine from high school who I totally lost touch with. She was that friend who was there for me when Q and all my friends in the class ahead of me graduated, and I was left to be a senior in high school with just a few friends in my own class. She helped bridge that painful gap of being kind of an outsider amongst all the other cool girls that should have been nice (but, well, let's face, it was high school after all).
Anyways, I excitedly accepted the friend request and checked out her pictures and debated writing a quick note to say hi and how happy I was to see her again. I got distracted and didn't send the note, and then the next time I logged in, this is the message I found in my inbox:
Hi old pal! I am so happy to see pics of your beautiful family! Looks like you are doing great.
I have been trying to reconnect with you. I really want to apologize to you and let you know that the incident of TPing you house all those years ago is still heavy on my heart. You were always such a great friend to me and I had such low self-esteem, I did some really stupid things trying to be "cool." I finally get what it means to truly be a friend. Anyway, I wish you all the best and happiness. Sorry I was such a dufus in high school. Since then, not a June 30th has gone by that I haven't thought of you. :)
:) happy face?
What am I supposed to say to that!?
It stung.
I admit, I flashed back to that horrible feeling I had the morning I woke up, my senior year of high school, to see my house and all the trees around covered in toilet paper.
Only the nerds, geeks, and people who the popular kids didn't like got TP'd.
I thought I was popular. I thought I fit in. I had worked so hard to be part of the 'in crowd' and there it was, in plain sight, I wasn't part of their group at all.
It sucked. I cried, and I went to school that day feeling like a total dork.
I would have never thought this particular friend would have been part of the mean-girls who did this to me. I guess now I know.
So, the past few days, I've been bummed out.
Silly and dumb, because, I know that this shouldn't really be affecting me, but it is. All those memories of feeling insecure and scared of what others thought of you resurfaced. This will all pass, I am sure. I've got better things to think about.
It really wasn't until college, that I made real friends.
There's not anybody, other than Q, that I keep up with from high school. There are a handful of the cool girls that are still in town, and I see them occasionally, but we don't hang out, we don't really cross paths, and honestly it's just fine with me. If it weren't for Facebook, I wouldn't know what was going on with any of the old group of girls. They all hang out together, with their kids, they even have a bunko group, maybe they occasionally TP people's houses just for good old times sake! (oh, burn!)
I totally understand how people change and who you were in high school is not who you are forever. It's part of growing up, maturing and becoming an individual in this crazy world. I don't claim perfection, not even close. But this note stings to read. It makes me hope, pray and really want to emphasize in my girls, to always be nice to everyone. They don't have to be their best friend, they don't have to hang out, but they should always be able to say that no one would have any reason to say mean things about them. You know, that whole Golden Rule philosophy; treat others as you want to be treated.
So now I am left stuck. How do I respond to her message? Or do I even really make an effort?
Humpf.
Now I'm seriously debating making this blog private...I feel like I'm being "found" too easily. The Facebook thing pushed me over the edge.
Yep, I think I'm going to do it...private I will be.
Send me your emails if you want...my only rule is...no TP'ing!!
;o)
5 comments:
Darn Facebook sometimes! I'm sorry that you found out your supposed friend was behind such a hurtful incident. Even though there has been a time gap between high school and now, it still doesn't mean that time makes it all better. And I think it's totally natural to have feelings of insecurity, no matter what season of your life you are in. Being on Facebook has made me recall the past more than I ever have, or care too at times. I still struggle with trying to keep myself in check on FB by not revealing too much, especially to people that you know may not be the kindest people. And darn the fact that I primarily went private on my blog because of one person but can't quite seem to delete her from my friends list, out of fear as to how others would perceive it! But if I took out of the equation what others might think, she'd be deleted long ago! I think that makes me slightly insecure!
Just try to find comfort in knowing that virtually everyone has such moments of feeling like a dork, some just hide it better than others! That's in part why I like to just embrace my inner dorkiness! :) But in all seriousness, I couldn't agree more with teaching our children the lessons we have learned. Hanna's world will stop on a dime the moment I hear that she has treated someone poorly! These things that happen in our life, no matter how big or small, are meant for us to learn something and then apply it. You should hold your head up high because you've done just that and I'd venture to say the majority of people fail to do that! So consider yourself smart, not a dork! :)
Not sure if you actually wanted an opinion on that matter with your old friend, but I'll throw mine out anyways and feel free to discard it. If it were me (which it's clearly not, so only YOU will ultimately do what's right), I'd graciously accept her apology because that is what I would know would make me feel right. It may not feel GOOD, but it may feel right, and I think the two are not always interchangeable. I'd do this but not without first acknowledging your suprise and sadness that she played a role. If that feels like you are compromising too much, you could always say that you never took her for being that kind of person, but that you are glad that she's changed. Just an idea.
I feel ya sista on the whole private thing! You have my full support! I felt like people could find me too easily and there are certain subject that I've discussed that I'd not care to share with gosh knows who!
Hook me up!!!!!!! I'd die a slow death not being included! (like that?! I thought it sounded so dramatic!) Renfrow1@att.net
Andrea, that truly does sting!
I think Sadina's advice is right-on. I am confident that you will handle yourself with grace and witt, because that is how you are!
I completely sympathize with those feelings of insecurity that come haunting from high school years. Ugh. No fun.
But I love you tons!!! I'll never TP your house!!! And please add me to your blog list!!!
I want to say more, but I highjacked Devon's computer, and he is giving me the stink-eye because he wants it back.
LOVE YOU! YOU ROCK! Facebook Girl is LAME! And may I just add that I always feel SO LUCKY to have you as a BFF :)
Thanks girls!
Annie, you made my cry! I'm SO thankful for you too!
Sadina, I love the dramatic finale to possibly the longest comment I've ever received! :o)
I ended up writing FB-poop back and said: "Thanks for the note...and the apology...no hard feeling here."
Then I gave her a compliment about her kids and how I liked her long, straigh hair. Kind of lame, but I felt the need to end on a "big girl" note.
:o)
Good for you Andrea! You make me proud! :)
Ugghh my computer is going so slow that it took up all my time reading and trying to pull up the comments!
AAaaawww, I feel so bad for high school Andrea being tpd! I think you handled it perfectly and if I may get a computer dying pass...I will just have to ditto the wise girls before me!!!
I would rather stab myself with a blunt object than not be invited to read your blog! How is that for dramatic? :) lisa4blake@yahoo.com
Post a Comment