May 3, 2009

The Tankini

Today, yes, just 2 months shy of turning the big 3-0, with the "left overs" of having 2 babies; I bought a tankini.

For some reason, this has really turned into an "event" for me, it's taken nearly all of my emotional energy today. I feel like I need a nap!

This silly tankini really makes me feel like I am old, and getting older. There's no stopping this!
I know for certain that my mid-section will never befriend a bikini again (not like they were ever that close anyways) but now, it's official, I think I have just written off sit ups all together.

Maybe things will change some day.
Maybe I'll get motivated again and be able to trim off the need for the 'extra coverage' but for now, it's much needed. I look at Valerie Bertinelli who just started flaunting her new bod in that great green bikini on the cover of People, and I want to choke her, I can't lie. But then, I have to remind myself, that loosing weight and getting ultra tone has been her JOB for the past year. She's been paid to transform herself, have people prepare her food, and worked with a personal trainer, and that's all she has to worry about - luxuries I just don't have.

Q's take on the tankini, is like wearing boxer briefs...a little more coverage = a little more freedom - only a man would be so 'wise.'

I don't have to worry about the tankini's first outing for a while. It has been snowing here all weekend. No kidding! It's cold, grey, and very un-tankini-like outside! We've been spending our weekend with the girls, doing arts and crafts and trying to filter through what feels like millions of toys. Just when we think we might have something organized, they seem to explode and we start all over again. Maybe I'll loose weight from cleaning? If I could only be so lucky!

With the serious lack of sunshine, my next big task is to find a good self tanner. I'm up for suggestions!

3 comments:

comfy cozy said...

I LOVE Q's take on the tankini! Men are so wise aren't they?! Bikinis are overrrated anyways and I won't be in one either. Probably ever again! I always just feel grateful that I'm married and not lookin' for love! It's always nice to know we're loved for just who we are! :)

And I'm going to make you feel REALLY good right now...I fell off the wagon already and had TWO peices of that chocolate cake!!! I'm so ashamed! It just happened while Han was napping and I was watching Kirstie Alley's weight struggles on Oprah. I guess I just figured that I'm not as big as her, so why not?! But I am going to really try tomorrow! I promise! There, do you feel better at this loser's confession?!

Annie said...

Andrea, you are so funny! I'm sorry that this event has been so draining, but I just have to encourage you that I think the tankini in the picture (assuming that yours is the same one) is super cute! You'll be a cute mama, rockin' the tankini, playing with the kids, catching some rays... I can see it now!

You are right, it was Valerie's job to get fit and grace the cover of People in a bikini. If Jenny Craig paid us to do it, we could do it too!!

I can't believe that you are still getting snow!! Crazy spring!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

I love this post! Tankini sisters unite!!! Andrea, I am so with you. I don't know if I will even be brave enough to be in any bathing suit this year or really ever... but if I do it will be a tankini! They are simply wonderful inventions and I think Q is right on point and yes, super wise! What a sweetie!

There really is nothing more draining than swim suit shopping but I agree with the girls you did great! You rock it Momma!

You are so right about the whole being fit is their job realization! Whenever I see Oprah without her makeup I realize it is all a faca`de! I take a deep breath and say lookin good!!

You really are hilarious!