Your
Own
Business
For
The
Love
of
God
PLEASE!
Yes, I realize this is an ironic title choice for a blog, but here I go...
Yesterday was an interesting day. I had a doctors appointment for my annual checkup (ugh!) and I haven't been to this particular doctor in about 4 years. Having babies has kept me at the other type of doctors office; but here I was, back for my visit. Main goal: get the birth control prescription refilled and get out as fast as possible!
When I arrived, the receptionist immediately began to apologize all over herself; my doctor had called in sick and they had a PA in her place, but they didn't have a chance to call me ahead of time to let me know and give me the option to reschedule. I admit, I was irritated, but understood, and decided to just go ahead with the appointment as scheduled. It was a female PA, and so, I felt a little more comfortable...you know what I mean?
This was one of the most bizarre "introductions" I have ever had to a medical professional. Helen Poindexter, the PA, came into my room and introduced herself and proceeded to give me the highlight reel of her medical career - OK, she's just trying to make me feel confident about her skills, and comfortable, right? Sure. Then she started to ask me some questions about myself. They started out simple enough; how many kids? married? hobbies? etc.
Then we got to...do you work?
Yes, I do...full time.
Her response was UNREAL...
Oh, really? Who, What do your babies do all day while you are away?
Feeling slightly offended and the need to defend my family I told her Q is a stay at home dad for the time being, and Elsie goes to school in the mornings; and it's all working out really well.
I'll spare you from the line by line conversation, but after a few of her digs at my personal life and the way I was raising my children, I wanted to scream at her - "just who in the hell do you think you are to sit here and judge me and make me feel guilty about something that is such a personal decision? And for our family, it works. And no, you are greatly mistaken, I didn't come here for your opinion. All I want is my birth control prescription renewed and that's it...damnit!"
Gosh, I was fired up and it will most likely be my LAST time at that office. Seriously.
It just blows me away how some people just take it upon themselves to open door, and enter when they are clearly not invited. I don't know her. She does not know me. I felt judged and criticized for something that was really none of her business.
Again, I know this is an ironic soap box for a blogger, but I just feel the need get it off my chest.
I'll share as much as I need to share with people.
I'm not a secret keeper.
I'm not a sneaky person; both take way too much effort.
Please realize, if I choose not to invite you to my party, don't show up at my door with your fakey invitation and expect me to be excited to see you. It just wont happen.
On a much lighter, happier, more beautiful note...
Isn't the arrival of Max the greatest news?!
He, Annie and the Rantz family have really refreshed my outlook on life and reminded me of how precious my family is!
Thanks Max! I can't wait to meet you little buddy!!
2 comments:
Oh, Andrea! I'm sorry! Foot. Mouth. Insert. I don't know who people think they are sometimes, giving unsolicited opinions like that! I mean, really, WHO do people think they are?! Strangers, with the strange part being much emphasized! Clearly, she's strange and doesn't know social decency if it smacked her in the face! So, my best unsolicited advice for you is to feel sorry for her. Feel sorry that she must insert foot into mouth quite often; meanwhile you are the smarter one and know not to do that, Miss PA! Also, feeling sorry for people makes you be able to get some power back! Sometimes it's all you can do! Have a good day and know that you do what works for you! After all, we're all only doing the best we can! :)
P.S. I couldn't agree more with you about the keeping secrets part and being sneaky. I try to just be an open book too because it does require far less effort! I've always liked the "this is me, this is who I am, deal with it" kinda mentality.
UGHHHH!!! Andrea I am so sorry as if going to that appointment weren't bad enough old high horse had to ride in and ruin your day!
As Tanner would say "WHATEV!!!!" And Kennedy "Laahoooser! Oh yeah I said it I went there...BAM BAM!!!".
Post a Comment