May 31, 2009

30 days away...

from 30!

Today, I admit, I've been in a royal funk.
It's not the weather, there's no funny moon-cycle to blame, I know exactly what it is.

As of today, I am 30 days away from turning the big 3-0.
Gosh - what the heck!? Where did the time go?!

Didn't 30 used to seem old?
Didn't 30 used to be about how old our parents were?
Didn't 30 used to be so far off the radar, way back when we were clubin' in college, that it never seemed like we'd be that old?
Well, now, 30 is really almost here.

I can kind of feel myself starting to spin.
In my head, I'm beginning to going through all the things that 30-year olds are supposed to be, have accomplished and have a firm understanding of at this point in life, and, of course, I don't come close to having any one of the things I'm fussing about wrapped up.

The last few years of being 20 have been rough. It's pretty amazing how after 25, with the addition of kids, more responsibilities and fewer moments in the day, the past 4 years has changed me. I hope I am still fun, I hope I still am enjoyable to be around, and I hope I've still got the spunk within me - seems like I've lost touch with even knowing who I am or what people think about me. It's easy to do when you put yourself last on the 'who to take care of' list. Being last probably isn't healthy, but it sure is hard to change the pecking order.

I've heard that the 20's are all about finding yourself and then your 30's are all about being that person you've found. Shoot! I've not yet 'found' myself and I am seriously running short on time! Joke...I know I can't live by what they say, because really, who makes them an expert anyway?
But maybe I'll get closer to me now that I'm so conscious of the fact that my twenties are nearly up. Hopeful thinking.

Is it weird that I feel like I need to do something significant within this next month to "commemorate" or "wrap up" my 20's? I have NO idea what that would be, but I'm feeling like I should learn something new or finish a project that I've got the pieces for but have never started. Something, when I'm 50, to say - isn't this great, I remember doing it in my 20's.

The next 30 days should be interesting - I can already tell. I hope I am gentle on myself, and make the most of June...it's a really good month!

BONUS SECTION...
NOT RELATED AT ALL TO MY 30-DAY CRISIS!!
Q just got home from Costco and he saw the pregnant man!! You know, Thomas.
Not kidding - he was coming in as Q and Elsie were leaving - they passed in the breezeway.
He-She is pregnant again and Q said He-She is really showing.

6 comments:

comfy cozy said...

Oh, Andrea! I hear you on the 30s thing...it feels like such a monumental birthday! I'm only glad that last year when I turned 30, I was 4 days away from having Hanna so I was too distracted of better things to come! Hmm, maybe you could get pregnant again so the focus won't be solely on you?! :)

And for the record, I think the
20s are just an extended, slightly more mature version of your teens! So as far as I'm concerned you've got it going on with the great career, the two beautiful girls, and the sweet hubby! Hello?! Most people would LOVE to be in your position! And did I mention that you look great! You could be seriously overweight, unemployed, childless, and desperately wanting a man, any man, to love you! See?! Do you feel a little better now?!

I'll think of something awesome that you could do to leave your
20s with a bang...

And as for Thomas! Holy Moly! I've always meant to ask you if you guys have ever seen him! Too bad Q didn't take a secret photo so it could've accompanied this post!

Longest comment ever!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Longest comment ever is SO appreciated!

You did make me feel better - I know there's quite a bit I've got to be thankful for and am REALLY happy I'm not "man shopping" at this point in my life!

Thanks for the pick me up!

Oh, and yes, Q was equally as bummed that he forgot his cell phone, otherwise, he would have snuck a secret shot in of good old Thomas.

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Okay you are both cracking me up! Thomas?! Yes a picture would have been fabulous!

Andrea I feel your pain on the big 30! My rememdy was to redecorate the house in the new rown up me! I didn't have the "all figured out goal" until 35 so I am good for a few more years.

I ditto what Sadina said! You got it goin on girl! You are going to rock your thirties!

Also, ya just get a bun baking in the oven and you won't even be worried about your age :)

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Oh hi! We are both online! Goodnight!

Allison said...

I honestly believe that our 30's will be better than our 20's! While you were in your 20's you have made some pretty significant life changes, and now in your 30's-it is time to be able to fully enjoy them now. You graduated college, moved from SB to Bend, got married, purchased 2 homes, bore 2 beautiful children, and started a career! Now that you have established all of those things, now is the time when you will really be able to start to enjoy them all. Many people accomplish 1 maybe 2 of those things every decade. So be proud! You have made the most of the last 10 years in my opinion!

Annie said...

I am jumping into this conversation a bit late- I apologize- but I have to tell you that I love your thoughts about turning 30! My big 3-0 day is only 31 days after yours, so I share your thoughts! But here is what keeps me encouraged: when we were 20, if you would have been asked what you'd like to do in the next ten years, you probably would have said that you'd like to get married, buy a house, start a family, have a great job... and look at your success! Am I right? I might have also said that I'd like to have 6-pack abs, but maybe that can be my goal for the next 10years :)
I love you, and I think that you are at a perfect place in your life. The 30s will be great for you.
Oh, I wanted to add that, yes, as a mom, you are definitely at the end of the "who to take care of" list, but this is why you are a great mom! Everyday I think about ways to make more time for myself and for the things that I enjoy, and I haven't thought of a solution yet, but when I do, I will share it :)