Our home.
As of yesterday, Q's no longer working.
His employer is closing their doors next month. He's been a sales rep for a door and window company for the past 6 years and before that he built door and window packages...it's like he's leaving his extended family. It's really sad.
We knew it would most likely happen, but you never really expect the 'what if' to actually follow through and happen.
It's been a rough weekend and there have been so many decisions and emotions and emotionally charged decisions; you just hope and pray you are making all the right choices. We told each other, that we just have to do what is best for our family and take care of each other right now...heavy stuff when you are considering the well being of a 3 and 1 year old.
With all that said, I'd like you to meet Mr. Mom!
(Isn't he dreamy!?)
We are going to take Brynn out of 'school' and reduce Elsie to 1/2 time. (we like to call it school...daycare makes me cringe!)
Q's going to be a stay at home dad and secretly, I couldn't be happier for our girls!
He really is the most wonderful dad ever and unlike me, he'll have them running like a well oiled machine within a few weeks of the transition. I think the girls are so lucky and I hope that he finds peace from being with them.
What a backwards world we live in, when it is more cost effective for a parent to not work, collect some unemployment and stay home with the kiddos. We'll actually be money ahead with our new plan.
I'm not sure at this point how to react. I feel rather numb. I haven't cried, gotten angry, or had any sleepless nights. It's almost like, why bother? What good would it do anyone? I've got more important people to devote my energy towards.
It's an interesting trade in our relationship - he was the 'bread winner' for so long, and now it's my turn. I don't even think it matters because we are a team, but we can't help talk about how funny it feels to switch roles. I just hope he's alright with it, deep down inside.
So this is where we are at.
We're fortunate to have each other, we are fortunate to have our girls, healthy and happy, and fortunate to have a home. I feel blessed and I can't complain too much - I just think I need to put on my safety belt, and hold on tight for the next little while...this could get interesting!
5 comments:
Wow, Andrea-- This will be a huge transition, and I know that you are right-- Q is so great, he will be great with the girls, and you will all get through the changes. But I cannot imagine that this is easy for you and Q! It really is such a tough time, and Brynn and Elsie are so lucky to have such great parents who love and care for them. They will think that more time with dad is an upgrade to the schedule!
I think that you have the right perspective-- you know that you are so blessed in many many ways, and though life isn't going as planned, just hold on and see what happens!
I sure love you all!
I have to say that I have goosebumps after reading your entry. From experience, I know the job transition thing is a scary one-and I only wish I could have handled myself with as much bravery and grace as you showing! Many people would be crying "woe is me," but you are putting your husband and your girls first. Bravo!
Q is a wonderful dad, and I am sure that the girls will love their time at home with him. I love you both, and I will pray that the transition is as stress free as possible.
Thanks Buddies..."have I told you lately, that I love you?"
Because, I do...a whole heck of a lot!!!
Andrea! I just want to tell you that you are not alone! There are big changes coming to a lot of families right now. Mine is no exception. I admire you for focusing on the positive side of things because that is exactly what you should be doing! You guys are awesome parents and what a better caregiver than Daddy! Just let him know you expect it hot n' fresh at 5:15...dinner that is :)!
What a crazy world we live in with times being so difficult! I appreciate your sharing, Andrea. I love your outlook! That's not to say that both you and Q will have your challenging days, but really, what better place for Elsie and Brynn?! I have something that hangs on my wall in the family room and it reads "Faith, Family, Friends." Isn't that truly what life is all about? Nothing else matters, except for good health. So, in my book, you've got it goin' on! :)
Post a Comment