November 5, 2008

Electoral Votes??

I'm feeling a little uncertain about our new President. I'm not so sure he's the "change we need" ~ then again, like Annie's blog said, he does seem to be providing some much overdue hope for our nation.

Before I went to bed (at 7:30 because I felt awful) last night, I was totally into the election, and totally upset at the election. Well, really the electoral vote system. I know I am not fully educated on the rhymes and reasons to the electoral college, but I find it extremely unfair when it comes to deciding a nations leader. Granted, Oregon is not the biggest state in terms of population, but California is one of the biggest...yet, their votes don't even really "matter" because states like Ohio and Missouri have a bigger number of electoral votes.

I wish that the election for President, was based upon the vote of the people.
If I remember correctly, I think when Clinton and Gore were battling for the big seat, Clinton won the electoral votes, but Gore won the popular vote...how does that make any sense?

4 comments:

Annie said...

I hear ya, Buddy! I kept looking at the map of the U.S. on the tv, and I saw a whole bunch of red states, yet McCain was still so far behind. I suggested to Devon that the winner should be determined by square mileage of electoral votes :) He said that this was a terrible idea. Then I suggested that voting be done American Idol style. Again, he said terrible idea.

Annie said...

I forgot to add that I love the new pic of Elsie! She is so sassy in her swimsuit!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

I second the American Idol style!!! I have a feeling if I suggested it, it would be the final straw this week for Doug!

I don't get it!!! I am so annoyed that my vote didn't count! This is what kept me from voting in the past!

Sassy indeed! What a cute picture!!! I actually have a similar picture of Kennedy at that age and it's "my faaavoorriitte" (remember?).

comfy cozy said...

Yes, yes, I hear you in the frusteration department. I wonder why there has to be any electoral votes at all. Why can't one person's vote just be that and count as a single vote for whomever they chose. So that every American's vote can feel like it really mattered.

In addition, why can't we make the voting process simpler, like being able to place your vote from your cell phone or computer. I guess there may be a concern for hacking, identity theft issues, etc. Am I even making any sense? So much political banter these days and I can't even think straight!

The first thing I thought when I saw Elsie's adorable pic was "sassy sissy"- that's what we call Ms. Hanna!