
Lately it has felt like Elsie could pull it all off without me.
She might only be 4 (almost 5) but she is about as independent as they come; and sometimes this mommy feels very un-needed.
Sigh.
The independent streak really kicked into overdrive a few months ago and it has weighed heavy on my heart ever since.
Sigh.
I've been very aware of making an extra effort to let her know how much I love and need her. My worst fear is that she might drift away because she thinks I am not interested in who she is or what she is doing.
Sigh.
This past weekend, for whatever reason, things started to change.
Elsie needed me.
She wanted to spend time with me.
Tonight, she really needed me.
She sat in my lap and cried to me about her bad day at school.
And while I know that doesn't sound like the greatest way to spend a good portion of your evening with your daughter, I can assure you, for me, it was. She needed to be held, needed to melt down, needed to not be independent and strong and she needed someone to hold her.
Sigh.
And cry.
It feels so good to be needed.
Needed in a way that does not involve someone hanging on my leg whining for another glass of juice, or a cookie, or to help them go potty.
Being a mom can be so hard, and then so amazing.
Sigh.
And, still crying.
3 comments:
OHHHHHH! She does need you, and I am thrilled that she showed you! The fantastic thing is that you and Q are raising 2 little girls that are independent enough to know they can do things on their own, but they also know they can come cry on a shoulder when they need too. I love you!
You are so sweet! You have very smart girls and with that undoubtedly comes a strong sense of independence! She is probably just trying to show her Mommy how smart and big she is! But I totally get it, and I am so glad she needed some serious Mama loving just at the right time!
You nailed the whole motherhood balance. It can be so hard, but those sweet moments make it all worth it!!! Have a really good day Mama and know that your babies need you and love you more than they could ever express! :)
HI!
For some reason, your blog doesn't always update on my blog list, so I didn't see until just now that you had a new post!
What a sweet blog, and so very true. Even when babies grow up and truly are completely independent (as we are now), mamas are still needed! I still need mine!
And being needed for the snacks and the chore-type things become mundane, so it really is nice that she needed you for some love!!
Love you!
Post a Comment