September 25, 2010

When I Dip, You Dip, We Dip...

We went to some new friends' house tonight to watch some college football; and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. These are new friends of Q's from work (gosh that's exciting to finally say!) He has totally connected with a group of teachers and so tonight we were scheduled to do the family meet and greet over some football, appetizers and BBQ.

I was pretty much trying to think of every possible excuse not to go...headache? fever? gas? the girls seem too tired? I was trying and with each attempt Q kept calling my bluff.

It actually turned out to be a really fun night and the people we hung out with were really nice.

One of my things when going over to someones house for any occasion is to no show up empty handed. Tonight was no different and I decided to bring over an appetizer to share and of course, I decided to try a new recipe. Another one of my things, I like to cause an extra level of stress and anxiety to an occasion as such, by making some food dish that I have never tried before and serve it to a group of people.

Tonight's experiment was a Layered Greek Dip.
Tonight's experiment was a complete success!

YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS FABULOUS DIP!!!

YOU WILL ACHIEVE SUPERSTAR STATUS!!!

1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups prepared hummus (I used a roasted red pepper hummus)
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup chopped cucumber (English cucumbers are the best)
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (I used a little less and it was plenty)
1/4 cup sliced green onion (optional)
Pita chips for dipping

In a medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, lemon juice, Italian seasoning and garlic with electric mixer until smooth and combined well.

Spread cream cheese mixture into a deep 9-inch pie plate or shallow serving dish.
Evenly spread hummus onto cream cheese layer.
Top with cucumber, tomato, olives, pepper, feta and green onions.

Cover and refrigerate for 2-24 hours. Serve with pita chips.

My best piece of advice - do all your shopping at Trader Joes...you will save a small fortune on things like Kalamata olives and hummus!

4 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

YUMMMMMMMM!!! This dip looks amazing!!!! It's funny because I have been a huge fan of chips and dip in the past couple of weeks. My dip of choice has been mango salsa with sour cream and avocados. I have to admit I am tiring of it :). Looks like Dougie will be whipping me up some dip you dip, we dip!!!!

Glad you were brave and it worked out! I tend to try to get out of those social situations too.

comfy cozy said...

That sounds really, really good and perfect for the football season that we've been making an effort to enjoy!

I am diggin' all the ingredients except for maybe the bell peppers, but I trust you so I think maybe, just maybe, I'll give it a whirl! Thank you so much for sharing because we have really been quite the foodies around here these days! And, yes, you are so brave for trying out a new recipe at such a time, but wouldn't you know that I seem to do that too when we have people over. It must be some sort of sick personality disorder! :)

P.S. Glad you met some "good" people. Sometimes it's not the easiest thing to do.

P.P.S. I have a new recipe for you, too, that I had last night and I'll share it as soon as I can. Think pasta-to-die-for! You'll love it!!

Happy Sunday!

Annie said...

Nice!
I am proud of you for going- it can be so intimidating to make new friends. But you did it! And I'm sure that the new friends loved the whole Wilson clan, especially since you arrived with such a great DIP! You are so brave- and maybe kooky- to try something new, but you are so good at pulling off new recipes and ideas.
I will definitely try this recipe- it is right up our alley! Or, how about you all come watch football at our place next weekend, and you can bring the dip?? I'll bring.... the cookies!

Allison said...

So I never try new recipe's but I am definitely going to try this one! We are going to have some people over for the next TCU game, and I will have to make it. Can't wait!!!