November 3, 2009

It's Tuesday, and, I'm Tippin'

This past weekend (also know as Halloween - ha ha) I was inspired to make a festive, fall, football meal to share. I pulled out the cookbooks, logged onto my favorite websites and began to plot out my first attempt at homemade...

CHILI!!!

Not to be over confident and toot my own horn, but this chili turned out awesome! Even better, I made it in a crock pot, so it was easy cookin' and transportable. Served with corn bread muffins and honey butter (my weakness!) it was one fine, fall-lovin' meal!

A warning to those who might try - this makes a huge batch...huge as in, it nearly filled the crock pot to the brim! I think it could be halved easily, but the left overs were just as good as the original.

CHILI-DANDY-WOO-WOO

2 onions, rough chop
4 cloves garlic, rough chop
1/2 zucchini, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
10-15 baby carrots, chopped
1 15 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), drained and rinsed
2 15 oz cans tomato sauce + 1/2 can water
4 15 oz cans diced tomatoes and the juice (I used 2 cans that had garlic and oregano, 1 can that was fire roasted, and 1 can that was plain just for variety)
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tsp dried Italian seasoning herb mix (I used the Pampered Chef Italian mix)
1 tsp Tabasco sauce
1.5 lbs ground turkey breast

Saute the onions, garlic, peppers, zucchini and carrots in olive oil, until just tender.
Brown turkey and drain fat.
In crock pot add all of the canned ingredients, spices then add in veggies and meat.
Cook on low heat for 4 hours, stirring occasionally.

As it cooks, I would taste it to check on seasoning - this combo has a little zip, but nothing that would make you sweat.

We topped of the dish with a little cheddar cheese, sour cream, chopped scallions and of course saltines on the side.

Guaranteed for a rootin' tootin' good meal that can feed a crowd!!

5 comments:

Annie said...

YUM!
I have a crock pot, and I've only used it once, and I only used it for a roast that someone brought us after Max was born!
This is a perfect recipe for me to bust out the crock pot!!!
And you know I'd add avocado as a topping :)
Can't wait to try it!!!!
Rootin' TOOTIN' is right!

Wilson Girlzz said...

AVOCADO!!!!
Yes, that would be a fabulous topping!!

comfy cozy said...

That sounds heavenly!! I'm in! Especially when you mentioned crock pot- we use ours at least once a week!

Toot-toot! Hmm, I wonder if I'll be toot tootin' (literally) after I try this recipe! That was so unneccesary! :)

comfy cozy said...

P.S. The tippin' pressure is on! I promise I'll be getting that potato soup recipe out by the end of the week so maybe, just maybe you girls can try it over the weekend!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

ANDREA!!!! What a loser I am!!!! I had no idea and I mean no idea that you had new posts!! Darn!

This sounds amazing and delicious and I will be definitely trying to please the blake crowd with this chili!!!