October 15, 2009

If I Were a Barnyard Animal...

This would be me...

A Donkey.


But I'm just not any old ordinary donkey...

I am A Donkey On The Edge!


For real. What is wrong with everyone, everything and anything? Today was a, shall we say, "show stopper?" From 3:45 am (when Brynn decided to wake up) I had a sneaky suspicion that my day was going to be a bust and I might be a little, shall we say, "off?"


Yes. Let's say it...I was (or am) off indeed.


I'm tired. I'm not liking work. Penelope has been on fire lately and there's a new player, who hangs on every one of Penelope's words...it makes the days long and the amazing life and death story of the day last that much more painful to listen to as she elaborates on every, single, over described detail. She was out sick today, and is fairly certain she has self diagnosed swine flu.


I'm sick of worrying about money. I'm cold (it hasn't been above 40 degrees for like 2 weeks) and, I'm feeling chubby along with being totally unmotivated (always a bad combination). I find myself wishing for things that I know good and well will never, ever happen...really, like winning the lottery. Why am I busy making plans about what I would do first with my many, many, many millions?


My hair is awful, and I'm stuck in the vicious circle of looking the same no matter how hard I try to re-invent me, I always come out the same...umpf. I have an appointment set for next week and I'm not even excited. Not even remotely inspired. I have sneaky feeling, I will look the very same as I did about 4 weeks ago. Today was day #4 in a row of the "stubby pony."


My children don't listen to me. They scream and run circles around me (literally) and I slowly slip away into my icky-mommy-place and begin to question why in the world I had children since I am such an insufficient parent and have zero skills when it comes to raising a child, let alone two! Tonight Elsie called me a "booger-butt." Really? Yes. Really.


Our fridge is nearing empty and I just went shopping like 4 days ago. And even though I planned out 5 dinners, I have not a clue as to what to cook for dinner when I get home from work, and my family looks at me like I'm crazy as I pace back and forth from the pantry to the fridge, hoping that maybe some food will magically appear. And how is it that we have already gone through 2.5 gallons of milk already?! Tonight, my dinner consisted of 2 chicken nuggets (frozen, home cooked nuggets), about 4 spoonfuls of cottage cheese, a pickle and two chocolate chip cookies, washed down with a glass of juice (left over from a sippy cup).


Clearly, I am a donkey.


I take deep breaths. I find myself rubbing my own shoulders and neck at various times throughout the day. I'm set for a second round of acupuncture tomorrow, after the first session last week, when she told me "you are a wreck" I figured another dose might be helpful.


Today, I found myself trying to think of my "go to phrase" for when all I feel like doing is telling people to F-off and that I really don't care at all about what they are bitching about (my apologies for the vulgarity), and I think I have it figured out:


"This really isn't working for me right now."


This whole donkey thing, isn't really working for me right now...

7 comments:

comfy cozy said...

Andrea!!!!! I'm back! And I've missed you!!! It feels so good to be back and cracking up again! I realize that I probably shouldn't be chuckling buuuut I just can't help it because you make a girl feel like she's right there with ya! I mean, the whole donkey visual is hilarious and I'm certain that you wish you could give your hind legs a good ol' kick at a rear or two...especially Penelope's!! Oh, Penelope, Penelope...when is the girl gonna just go away already??!

I am sorry (through the chuckles) that you were having an off day. I only hope today finds you well and you have a fab weekend! :)

Wilson Girlzz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wilson Girlzz said...

Welcome back!!
You've been missed dearly!!

Yes, I'm happy to report that today was better, and the glass of vino that I am sipping on to close out my week, seems to be the icing on the cake! If only I had cake ;o)

I'd love to kick my donkey hind legs and give old Penelope a ride (funny image!)...ah, it would be nice...

I'm so happy your back from your break - I can't wait to hear how you are and what you've been up to!!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Oh Andrea! Yes you are cracking me up too! Although, I am feeling terrible for the cutest donkey in the world! What a day and/or week! Well, it sounds like you are on the mend! To finalize your victory over the week I do think cake is in order!

P.S. I think feeling chubby and unreinvented is a contagious condition this Fall! Can I get immunized for that next year? :)

Annie said...

Oh, my donkey friend :) We watch Shrek nearly everyday, and I always think of you when I hear "I'm a donkey on the edge!"
I am so sorry about your off day. SUCKS!
It is times like this that we really need to live closer together because we could go get drinks, or go get dessert, or go shopping...
Awful hair, really??? I might to see pictures so that I can assess it myself! I always love your hair- all colors and lengths!
Isn't it amazing how groceries disappear?
You are not a booger-butt, I promise! You are a really great mommy!
I hope that acupuncture helped, and I hope that you are having a great weekend!

Annie said...

BTW, my blog didn't update to say that you had a new post! What the heck??!!

Wilson Girlzz said...

That's really funny you think of me when you watch Shrek...at least I'm not an ogre right? :o)

I'm up for drinks, dessert and shopping!!