September 8, 2009

You can't always get what you want...

You can't always get what you want,
You can't always get what you want,
You can't always get what you want,
But if you try sometimes, you just might find,
You'll get what you need.


Sing it to me Mick...you and your Rolling Stones!

So, if this is my theme song, you can probably already guess, I'm feeling a bit defeated lately.

You can't always get...the hair you want...
While it's not awful, it's not what I wanted.
I'm not sure where or how I keep missing, but I end up with the same hair cut even though I bring in a picture and try my best to describe what I want; I come out looking the same and this time, I have some crazy-ass tapered, razored, ends that are making my stick straight hair look, well, just frizzy and bad!
You'll get what you need...I can still pull it into a ponytail. It's stubby, but it's there.

You can't always get...your baby to sleep like you want...
Last night was the first night of Brynn's crash course to 'self soothing.'
At her age, it's really probably more my fault than anything that she still gets up at least two times a night, and ends up sleeping with us for a majority of the night.
Brynn cried for an hour, I tried to pat and rub her back for 45 minutes of that hour before I finally scooped her up and we rocked back to sleep. No bottle involved, which was good, I guess.
I cried and cried, and am dreading tonight.
You'll get what you need...she told me this morning, after her awful night, "yuv u mama." And, I cried!

You can't always get...started on your 'new you wardrobe' you want (so badly!)...
Because, today, you found out that the bus, that special, special bus needs a new fuel pump, and, for a mere $500 it will run like it's brand new. Um, it's not brand new. It's 32 years old and I'm feeling slightly bitter that this wasn't part of the purchase process, investigation, research, call it what you will when someone was obsessively shopping and bidding on eBay!!
You'll get what you need...when he's tootling around town with the girls, the bus wont just stop in the middle of the road.

You can't always get...a lunch break or off on time at work...
For the past two weeks and for the next two weeks, I will continue to not take a lunch, work extra hours at work, and at home after bed time because it's my crunch time. I don't mind my job and working hard to get things done, but what I do mind are helpless people who can't make time to read what you've given them and make an informed decision by themselves.
You'll get what you need...um, a paycheck?

You can't always get...the vacation time you want...
Our Labor Day weekend camping trip was a total bust. It was freezing! I don't think the thermometer topped 50 degrees all weekend long. Sunday morning it was 32 degrees! That is freezing! We were sort of 'held hostage' in our trailer with minimal entertainment for the girls and not enough warm clothes to even make an adventure outside worth the effort. Elsie had a complete and total 3 year old melt down, that brought me to tears, and will go down in history as the "East Lake Nightmare."
You get what you need...some good laughs and that Elsie and I had a heart to heart and she's been amazing for the past few days.

You can't always get... to watch the TV shows you want...
Nick Jr. or ESPN or Fox Sports NW.
That's about all that works on our television.
Where's my Bravo? Food Network? HGTV? MTV? Can't a girl get a little break!? Please?!
You'll get what you need...time to blog ;o)

Sorry for the rant.
It's just been one of those days and the sympathy I'm seeking out just isn't being delivered tonight. Not after "one of the greatest softball games ever!"

Really, I should just go to bed before I get in any deeper!

6 comments:

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

OH ANDREA!!! Okay you killed me with your funny softball joke at the end! I was dying laughing!

I wish I could reach right through the computer and give you a squeeze! Mostly because I am sooo right there with you on the crash course in sleeping through the night!! Yes, it is probably our fault as well that Maysyn was waking up sometimes two times a night and spending most of the night in our bed! But I just decided, oh a few days ago that I needed to teach her to sleep on her own! I called Sadina got reassurance and some great advice! The first night was TERRIBLE and yes she cried on and off for one hour! The second night total fluke she slept all the way through. Then to the third night she woke up three times and cried for ten minutes each. 4th night all the way through and this morning she woke up at 5 a.m. and I decided to let her fuss then too...and she slept until 7 a.m.!! Woohoo! I think you should try the best advice Sadina gave me and the best tip I gave myself. Sadina said not to go in and soothe that it would just make us both more upset. As hard as it was it was genius!!! She got the message that it's bed time and no one is coming in. Oh and we bought overnight diapers by huggies so we were assured of no leaks that could be waking her up. My tip is to have your cell phone next to you on the nightstand and think of the crying in 10 minute intervals. My rule was that if she cried hysterically for more than 10 minutes straight then I was going to go and get her. But she never did! She would cry almost that long but then stop and then start up again. So my rule is every time she stopped I would start my ten minute time frame again. Get it? It has worked so well and we are not out of the woods yet but I feel so empowered and victorious and like I am giving her a gift! SLEEP! Okay longest comment ever, I probably should have just emailed you! But I just had to share since our sweeties are one day apart and I am right there with you!

Now, that my comment is so long I can only pick one more thing :)! The hair dilema! I don't know why they insist on the razor!!! It only looks good in the salon and then it turns your hair into a frizzy mess! I fight with my "girl" :) every time I want a trim becuase she pulls out the razor! All that aside I am sure you are as adorable as ever!!!

Well, if it's of any solice you gave me what I needed which was a good laugh today!! Hang in there! Make sure to have a lot of chocolate nearby your desk and bed for all these extra hours you are working! You deserve it!

Props for the most clever post of 2009!!!

Annie said...

OH BUDDY! Does this mean that we don't get a picture of the new haircut?? I'm sorry that it didn't work out, and I totally sympathize, and whenever I see the razor coming out, I say "NO THANK YOU!!!" I feel like the stylist (whoever that may be at the time, since I don't have a regular) is looking at me like, "OH, would you like to tell me how to do my job???"
You know how I've bragged that Max is such a great sleeper?? Well, while he still is WAY better than Lucy at sleeping, I am totally ruining it by getting him when he fusses! So, thank you Lisa for the good advice from Sadina (thx Sadina!) and for the longest comment ever (seriously!), because I am going to do the 10 minute thing (but I don't have to look at the cell phone because my clock projects onto the ceiling! Oh, watch me now!!!).
The Special Bus is taking $$ from the new wardrobe funds??? NOOOO!! All I can say is that I am sorry :(
And as for your job sucking the life out of you... there is an end in sight, and you will be so so so happy once you reach the end of open enrollment!!! RIGHT??? I am so sorry that it is so hectic right now, but, being a former cheerleader, I am going to cheer you on and say you can totally do this!!!!
Dude, camping in the cold?? Bites! Chalk it up as family memories, right?? :)
Love you, and all the fall shows are right around the corner!!!! ESPN is killing me too!!!!

comfy cozy said...

Oh Andrea!! I was feeling your pain right up until you mentioned the "East Lake Nightmare"... I'm so sorry to say that I completely lost it and bust out laughing! While Hanna is napping feet away from me, mind you! What we'll do for "memories" I tell ya! You are such a good mommy though and those girls are going to have some of the best childhood memories ever! Seriously!!

A girl can't always get what she wants and it's so wrong! Especially when all a girl wants to do is wind down at the end of a day and watch some good television! Maybe an intervention is needed so you can get control over the remote again??! BTW, is anyone else checking out the new show Glee??!! I've only seen the pilot and I think the second one will be on tonight so it's not too late to dive in ladies!! I'm sooo excited and I think I can committ to a new fall show finally because it seems like it's just written so darn well! A smidge teeny bopper and inappropriate at times but so much fun! Oh sorry, I digress!!

The sleep thing is sooo rough! I'm so sorry! I don't think people actually believed me when I said that Hanna had been waking up nearly every hour for the first many many months of her little life! For me the only thing I could do to save my sanity was to just let her fuss it out and therefore figure it out! You have put in more than enough time of sacrfice; please allow yourself the chance to get some good nights' sleep, even if it does mean that she has to cry and you are wearing earplugs! I know it's so hard but really, you're doing what's best for everyone involved! And with work being so incredibly busy, sleep is crucial! Hang in there mama, I promise there will be a day when we all look back at certain times in our lives that seem so challenging and have ourselves a giggle! Right??!

Hugs to you! And if it makes you feel any better you're post rocks as usual!! :)))

Wilson Girlzz said...

Wowza on the comments!
This is the best support group EVER! Last night was a rough one again, and I was ready to cave, but you all have motivated me and I'll try anything at this point!
Sleep IS a gift!!

Lisa, call me at 2 am if you need! I can't believe our girls are doing this together!!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

I just might do that Andrea! I can't believe the girls are doing this at the exact same time either! Yay for a support group! Oh and Annie really really really wants me to point out that a cell phone is not nescessary for the ten minute plan! Only a clock! Fancy pants has one on her ceiling as she pointed out! :))))

Annie said...

thanks for clarifying, Lisa! It just took me a minute to figure out why a cell phone was needed to mark the 10 minute intervals!! I wasn't sure who you were going to call... but, hey, maybe you and Andrea can chat in the middle of the night :)
I am just being sassy :) But, seriously, I love my projection clock, and I bought it at Target, and it also projects the room temp onto the ceiling, so when I wake up and it is warm, I just look up and see that it is 79 degrees, and I turn on the fan.... love that clock! Maybe it will be a Tues. Tip someday (though I've kinda covered the sales pitch right here)!!
This whole comment was completely unrelated and unnecessary, but I am going with it!