June 6, 2009

Back to where we began

This has been a very busy week.
We are getting ready to move back to the house we started our lives together in - with a mixed bag of emotions, we are heading back and are going to make the most of it.

It's probably not too surprising, with the loss of Q's job and owning 2 houses, something had to give. We are, like millions of Americans, in the midst of selling our current house as a short sale. Totally sucky. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

These past few months have been so stressful and I've spent so much time worrying, it's not even worth describing.

We are getting so close to the end of our ordeal.
Our current home has a firm offer and we are about 2 weeks away from hearing from the bank that the sale has been approved. In the mean time, we gave our renters notice, and they moved out as of June 1. And we began ripping and tearing as of June 2.

I can't believe what happens to a house, as a rental, in a matter of two years. Be warned. It's not pretty, and we had really great tenants, but their dog...dear Lord...the stink was so bad...seriously, I cried!

We decided that we wanted to / had to replace the flooring before we moved back in - I can't imagine the girls on some strangers carpet...ugh!! So, to Ikea we headed and purchased their click lock flooring - it is two words....affordably AWESOME!

Brynn and Q spent the entire week working - she worked really hard!
This is the kitchen before

This is the living room before
This is the dining room to master view after
And this is the living room after
To say that I am amazed, proud and beyond thankful for all of Q's hard work is a serious understatement. He really was like a machine this week and I'm not quite sure how he accomplished so much all while being Mr. Mom.

Floors were Phase 1 of the 'great clean up.'
I'm on next - we are repainting the living and dining rooms as well as our master bedroom. Secretly, I'm excited. Painting is like therapy for me. I love it! In fact, when we first lived in this house, I painted the kitchen 3 different colors in a mater of 14 months - no lie! Robins Egg blue, Red, and then finally mocha brown.

I'm feeling some serious Potterybarn inspiration - as always. I'm shooting for the clean whites, creams, natural wood, black accents and grass green for my punch of color. Tomorrow I am heading over, armed with my many paint samples to tag the walls figure out the ideal shade of creamy vanilla with a hint of khaki. Why can't the paint store just mix that up?

This should be a really interesting transition for us.
We are reducing our square feet by HALF!

Elsie wasn't even one when we moved out and now she is three AND there's a Brynners now too!
I feel like a single story will be much easier to manage our family on, and it's weird to say, but this house feels more like home than the one we are living in now. It's like we had to take this big financial risk (which unfortunately tanked) and try a totally different floor plan to figure out that we were not all that far off from what we really love to begin with.

This has been a really interesting time in our lives. That which does not kill you, only makes you stronger, is SO TRUE! Q and I have really had to let parts of our pride go and suck up the realities of not being 'fiscally perfect.' It's a hard pill to swallow. I totally understand how people's marriages end because of financial strain - because it really does suck. Being so close to the end of this all really does make me appreciate that it's the quality of life, not the quantity.

It's a big circle to go around in only to figure out or realize where your priorities are and maybe, just how far away from them you drifted.

I'm coming back priorities.
I drifted away, but now, I am on a motor boat, headed back at full speed!!

5 comments:

comfy cozy said...

Andrea, can I just say first off without sounding way too mushy...I LOVE, LOVE this post because of your super-duper wise perspective and your brutal honesty! I always look forward to reading your posts so much because you just tell it like it is! Kinda reminds me of myself a bit! You are such an amazing person who's been through some major changes but just keeps on going with a great attitude!

I think your new home looks positively home-y! I'm with ya on the not wanting to live on other people's carpet thing, so YAY for Q. and Ikea! It looks great and I too am super impressed with his abilities to whip that out all while tending to two little girls! I'm also with ya on the painting thing...I am one of the few that actually enjoy it too! Matter of fact, just yesterday Danny and I were going over samples to paint for our family living space. The yellow of the previous owners is starting to get to me! It looks like someone barfed lemon all over the house! And I hear ya on the two-story living thing too! (Am I getting annoying yet sounding like I'm copying everything you said?! I sware it's all true!) I so badly wanted a single level home because it's more conducive to family life but somehow it just didn't quite happen that way.

Anyways, I'm happy for you. A fresh start that you can feel good about and another space to have fun decorating. I'm sure it's going to be fabulous when you're all done with it!

P.S. It seems you keep getting my "longest comments ever!"

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Get ready because this might be a long one too! Andrea, you really are so wise and willing to be honest when so many people want to hide the way things really are...which really is probably why we feel so badly when things go wrong in our own lives...because most people are pretending! Just so you know you are so not alone! We just had to make really hard decisions in the past year as well. What you said about getting back to where you started from resonates with me so much much. That is where we are, and I have to tell you it feels so good! We let go of homeownership as our financial diversity simply meant we had like 28 different credit cards to pay! After we let go of what we were clinging to for dear life we realized that we still had the golden ticket! It was us! I think you are already noticing that it's actually better now? The financial pressure is probably off a bit and now your family can live and enjoy eachother and some camping right?! Without sounding condescending can I just say I am proud of you!

Okay now onto your house! I have loved it since I saw it when we came to Bend! Super cozy and adorable and your new floors and your decorating plan rocks!!! Keep your many many readers posted on your progress!!!

Cheers to your fresh start!!!

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Somehow I managed to say much much in my comment! Ooops! Well it wouldn't be a comment from me without an error :)

Annie said...

I'd like to hire Q and Brynn to do my flooring!
The floors look great!
I am really happy for you-- I think that this move is going to be really great for you all. I can tell just by reading your blog (since we haven't caught up on the phone in so long!) that you feel really good, and that the stress of the past year is working itself out and, like you said, making you stronger. Some Christina Aguilera "Stronger" is playing in my head right now! :)
I can't wait to see your Pottery Barn inspirations come to life! You are so good at that kind of stuff!
I love you and miss you!

Wilson Girlzz said...

Friends, you are awesome!
Thanks for the support and understanding. It's hard to be so honest, but then when it's done, it feels like a huge weight has been lifted!

I'll continue to update with the progression of the move. It's kind of nice, we have like the whole month of June to do it in...nothing like dragging something you dread out! :o)