Last night my mom called me, she was all wound up, not her typical style.
She just had to share her discovery with me...and when all said and done, it gave me goosebumps!
When pregnant with Elsie, we didn't know if she was going to be a boy or girl. It was tough picking out both a boys name and a girls name. The boys name, Fletcher Q. Wilson, we agreed on quickly and thought Fletch would be the coolest nickname ever (we still do!). But the name choice for a little girl turned out to be much, much more difficult.
I remember reading some article in a cooking magazine about a woman who was talking about the history behind her families famous recipe, and it was her grandmother, Elsie's, recipe. It just struck me as right and we agreed, if a bundle of pink should arrive, she would be named, Elsie Ann Wilson.
When I told my parents about our decision, my moms eyes got all teary and she asked why we chose Elsie. I told her my pointless story and she then told me that her grandmother (her dad's mom) was Elsie.
CRAZY! And special, it made me happy to think we had captured a family name without even knowing it.
We chose Ann as a middle name because it was the name of 3 out of our 4 grandmothers, and it just flowed.
Fast forward to just yesterday, the story gets better with my mom's discovery...
Elsie was born on February 20, 2006.
My mom was going through some of my late grandmother's papers, notes, date books, etc. and came across her list of special birthdays.
Elsie was born on my mom's grandmother, Nana (her mom's mom) birthday.
Nana was born on February 20, 1889 and lived to be 91.
So, here's our Elsie Ann, named after my great-grandmother Elsie, and born on my great-grandmother Nana's birthday, 117 years later.
Stuff, coincidences like this just don't happen...isn't this a CRAZY story?!
3 comments:
That IS wild! What are the odds?! Hmm, 1 out of 365 if my math skills aren't slipping as well! That's so special that Elsie is a family name and you didn't even know it! Similiar situation with our boy name we've had picked out for nearly 10 years- Jack. I've always loved it and never even put two and two together that it's my great-uncle's name!
I love the name Elsie! It's feminine and adorable while being a name that's still fairly uncommon, which is definitely a good thing! I fear there may be 5 other Hannahs in Hanna's class- at least they'll probably spell it differently! Elsie will get to be one-of-a-kind! Lucky girl!
Andrea I have goosebumps too! Thanks so much for sharing! Aren't grandmas the best? Elsie is destined for greatness!
Look at the time...9:45! I would continue commenting but I have no control over what I might ramble on about at this late hour :).
Great post!
I love stories like this! So cool!
Elsie is a great name, and when she grows up she will like knowing that she shares a name with someone special- her great, great grandma!
Post a Comment