December 2, 2008

I'm back...with a tip...did you miss me??

HELLO FRIENDS!
What a blogging hiatus I have been on...it feels so good to be back again.

I'll start out with my tip - after all today is Tuesday Tip day!
It's about finding ways to save money - Lisa and I were on the same wavelength today!!

I've been crunching mortgage numbers, income versus what goes out, etc. All very depressing these days, however, there's some interesting news about tax returns I didn't quite understand until my financial adviser clued me in.

So, tax rebates are great - it's like Christmas in the spring...but what is really lame is that money you get refunded is money you should have been receiving all year long instead of just giving to the feds to stow away.

For example, we had about a $5000 refund last year, which means that over the 12 months we should have been taking home about $400 more each month. I never really looked at my return that way, and once I realized this I was a bit...lets say, offended at the IRS!

My adviser told me of a simple trick to help figure out what you should really be having taken from your paycheck. If you log onto the IRS website: www.irs.gov and then in the search box at the top right type in Witholdings Calculator - it will take you to a link where you can input all of your information and it will advise you on the way you should set up your W-4's so that you don't have too much or too little taken out. You will need some past info...like all of the previous year tax information, but it's really pretty easy, and surprising.

The advisor suggested inputting info at least every 3 months to make sure you are having deductions taken appropriately.

I'm motivated. I could use an extra $400 a month right about now!

Now to our holiday wrap up...
Thanksgiving was kind of a sad one this year, in fact not one picture was taken.
We are working through some tough times with one of our family members. It's news that totally blindsided all of us...I shouldn't blog about it, because it's really not mine to share in cyber-world, but it did make for one of the more low key, quite Thanksgivings we have had.

I think, if there needs to be a positive take on things, that the good side to this tough situation is that it really does make you thankful for your family. When times are tough, our family gathers around, and we gather strong! I'm proud of all my family members to see how much they love, support and are there for each other. It's something that you just kind of assume about your family, but when you see it in action during those tough times, it's pretty amazing.

After the big feast we packed up the girls and headed over to Q's aunt and uncle's house in the valley for the big civil war football game. Oregon State vs. University of Oregon.

It's pretty amazing - there only professional sports team in Oregon is the Portland Trailblazers (hoops) and they are pretty sucky at best...so college football dominates this state. The Ducks and the Beavers have been long time rivals and we have been long time Ducks fans....
Long story short, a huge party in an old re-built barn equipped with flat screen TVs and couches, and a Ducks victory made for a great weekend!

I've missed you all!
I'll post again soon and bring some pictures with me too!!

4 comments:

Annie said...

I did miss you! Welcome back!
Great tip-- Gosh, if we could be bringing in more money each month, rather than storing it with the IRS, I'd be so happy! I'll see what I can do... Thanks!

I am sorry that your family is going through a tough time, and I am so glad that you are able to rally together and support each other. You Wilsons are a great group, and so blessed to have each other!

I thought of you when I saw the highlights of the Civil War on tv--I knew that you and Q would be cheering on the Ducks!

Love you!

comfy cozy said...

Of course, you were greatly missed! Lisa and I tried to "hold down the fort," but it just wasn't the same! And you came back with an amzing tip to boot! I'll have to check it out.

Sorry to hear about the family situation- I like your perspective in being able to see a positive side, though. It's not the best way to be reminded how important family is, but nonetheless, it's always good to know just how many people got your back when times are tough.

comfy cozy said...

Oh, and my uncle graduated from Oregon State (I think that's the one, right?) so he is a HUGE Ducks fan and when we get together this time of year, the family gets to hear all about it! My cousin graduated from there, too, and we went to his graduation a couple of years ago. It was a great campus. I'm diggin' your and Annie's Pacific Northwest Lifestyle of the Beautiful and Laid-Back.

Tanner Blake's Blog for school. said...

Andrea this is an amazing tip! I have actually heard about this but never understood how I could go about figuring out just how much the IRS is (stealing?:) getting to keep interest free! I am excited to figure this out because lets face it.....400 bucks would go very far around here about now! Great Tip!

I am so sorry to hear about your family situation as well. I know far too well how life can take some shocking turns! I really admire your perspective and I think whomever it is~~ is lucky to have you!

Welcome back blogging buddy!