With Turkey Day right around the corner, I know it may be a little late to post a recipe for the day, but this one is so easy and so yummy!
My senior year of college, 3 of us girls who lived together hosted a Thanksgiving for our out of town families. My fam came in from Oregon, another fam from Colorado and a roommate and her sister from Oregon and Westmont's volleyball coach all gathered around our table. It is probably my favorite Thanksgiving to date. We all contributed something to the meal, and Kylie (Colorado roommate) and I bought a turkey that wouldn't fit in our oven, so we had to borrow some friends' who lived down the hill. The holiday centerpiece was transported in a laundry basket...I wish I had the pictures with me to post. It was pretty funny!
One of the contributions to our feast was Candied Yams - um, whatever, I'd never tried them and had no desire to. But, now I was the hostess and it would be rude to turn away this special dish.
OH HEAVENS!
I couldn't believe how delicious they were! There was not one little yammy left over at the end of the meal. I now make them every year and it always brings back happy memories of that Thanksgiving in Santa Barbara!
So, here you go - I hope if you try them, that you'll love them like we do!
~CANDIED YAMS~
2 large cans yams (drained and rinsed)
1/4 c. orange juice
3/4 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
dash of salt
1/2 c. butter
mini marshmallows
Arrange yams in 9x13 pan in an even layer and sprinkle with orange juice.
In a separate bowl cut butter into dry ingredients, then spread/ shake over yams.
Bake at 350 for 30 minutes
Sprinkle marshmallows over top (as many as you like)
Broil 1-2 minutes so marshmallows are golden
I guess it really is more like a dessert after typing that out...call it a veggie-dessert option!
I'm off work for the next week - and in our cost saving efforts, we don't have Internet at our house any more...so my blogging will be idle...I'll try to catch a peak and post one maybe at my parents house!
Happy Thanksgiving to my blogging buddies! We do have so much to be thankful for!!
And...if your are shopping on Black-Friday - best of luck and go get those deals!
4 comments:
This is soooo not too late!!! It sounds delicious and the Blakes will be eating it on Turkey Day!!
Way to come through with a tip!!!
Andrea, did you say "vegi-dessert option?" You may just have enticed me to try a bite this year- for the first time ever! My mom is going to make the yams this year for us, but I will copy and paste your recipe for next year! Good job, Tuesday-Tipper! Happy Turkey Day to you and you will be missed for the week!!
Oh yeah and I forgot to say.....Happy Thanksgiving! Your blogging buddies will miss you! See you next week!
Hi Sadina! I see we are both on Andrea's blog at the same time.
Thanks girls!
I hope you each have a great Thanksgiving too!
Yeah for vegi-desserts :o)
I'll see if I can come up with any others!
Post a Comment